Jim Bowen

Rad Seal?

Anyone used one of them radweld products, my rad seems to have a very slight leak (a bit gutting as it was a brand new VW one and just run out of warranty (typical)

Tempted to shove some radweld in as getting a bit fed up with coolant leaks now, Is it likely to be a bad idea or not? I know some people would never use these sort of things and i've been one of them in the past.

I have never used it but....

mate with a Pug GTi6 used it, ended up clogging up the system as it turned the coolant to what looked like Jelly. Engine overheated and caused all sorts of problems for him...still hasnt managed to fully clean it out...personally I would stay well away...

There is a product called 'k -seal ' which is quite good & doesn't clog everything up. Usually available from motor factors

yeah am sure its leaking, must be very small as the level hardly goes down, had the front grill and lights out yesterday and noticed pink crust down the edge of rad, can always smell coolant when walking about the front end.

I liked the rad seal btw EJ, is he a personal friend?

Try reseating the hoses if they're in the same area as the leak, check for pin holes in the hoses too.

I wouldn't use any gunk on a coolant system unless the car is scrapyard fodder to be and the stuff would extend the cars life for a month or two

yeah am sure its leaking, must be very small as the level hardly goes down, had the front grill and lights out yesterday and noticed pink crust down the edge of rad, can always smell coolant when walking about the front end.

I liked the rad seal btw EJ, is he a personal friend?

Well im glad somone on here did!!!!

i dont see him any more he used to be a god mate but i always suspected he was upto something, something fishy about him.

There is a product called 'k -seal ' which is quite good & doesn't clog everything up. Usually available from motor factors

Yeah the RAC carry that in their vans. I've used it in my Rover 25 (K series and K - seal, a coincidence? lol) as it had a very slight weep from the head gasket (non pressure side). It went from using a litre of water a week to a litre every 6 months, so yeah, it works :)

Quickest way to tell if this kind of chemical has clogged the coolant system is try the heater. If it's cold, it's blocked.

Do i recall someone mentioning that you should never use a rad seal type product on a VR as there are very small water channels that aid the block cooling & can easily become blocked.....or something like that

EJ - that pic cracked me up ;)