MoonlightVR6

can anyone help guide an idiot (me) ob changing the oil and filter on my vr6

Can anyone guide me through changing oil and oil filter on my vr6. The Mann filter i have looks different to my previous car's filter...

This one looks like it goes into the sump somehow and on my Toyota it just looked like a can that screwed onto the engine. I'm baffled.

The oil filter is a paper/cardboard element that sits inside a housing - this is what you see underneath. You need to drain the sump, and then undo the small allen key drain plug at the bottom of the housing to drain that. The housing then unscrews (it might do this by hand or you will need an oil filter wrench, I use a large socket that fits on the bottom), the filter then slides on, and then you can tighten up the housing again. Refit and tighten all the drain plugs and then fill your engine with the new oil (5.5/6 litres for a VR I think).

the filter is housed on the front of the engine above the sump to the right of the dipstick , you have to go from under the car to access it , the housing is plastic and also has an allen head screw bolt at the bottom of it , this is a drain plug so you can remove the fluid from the filter housing before removal of it if you wanted to , you need a fairly big socket to undo the filter housing {your see the spanner flats at the bottom} also make sure the filter goes the right way around , just go under the car and look and all will become clear..

edit : didn't see your post fendervg

Thanks guys.

I actually assumed that the sump plug was what it was but I didn't want to undo it unless I was 100% sure. The oil is all out of the sump now.

I managed to get the oil out of the filter, but whoever changed it last time (I think it was VW, as it was about 5 years ago) has rounded the bottom spanner - flat bit (think its a 34mm). I was trying to lock a set of mole grips onto the rounded part (that the filter bleeder screws into) but its not budging, and I am worried I will make it completely circular. Is there a special tool that can clamp onto the flat spanner bits that is on the top of the bit that unscrews - with an Approx diameter of 130mm?

Before it went off the road it had a full service. How essential would replacing this filter be prior to attempting to start her, considering it has been sat there for 5 odd years?

Instead of mole grips have you tried with the proper size socket. I think its 36mm. It maybe just enough just to loosen and the rest hopefully you can unwind by hand.

As you have drained off the old oil you might as well change the oil filter at the same time as the filter would still be holding some dirty oil.

Edited by VWVW

Out of interest mate whereabouts in country are you??

If you are near Plymouth I'll happily change your oil for you.

Rog.

Nice of you Rog , love this forum .

I have seen a cup that grips the top flat parts of the housing in halfords, I am going to try that tomorrow. The parts shop I went to had a tool with a chain attached, but the guy reckons that I should get the cup as the chain one could split the housing because its made of plastic...

Im based in Ruislip, N/W London. Its probably a bit too far for me to expect you to travel. But thanks, I really appreciate your offer Rog. :-)

I tried to undo mine with one of those chain ones and it just wasn't going to happen. Combination of not enough space and it being too tight. Borrowed a neighbours plumbers style large pliers in the end just so I could get it done but have since bought a proper 36mm socket off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Low-Profile-Oil-Filter-Socket-36mm-3-8-Sq-Drive-SX114-/370930316277?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item565d2b73f5

I have seen a cup that grips the top flat parts of the housing in halfords, I am going to try that tomorrow. The parts shop I went to had a tool with a chain attached, but the guy reckons that I should get the cup as the chain one could split the housing because its made of plastic...

Im based in Ruislip, N/W London. Its probably a bit too far for me to expect you to travel. But thanks, I really appreciate your offer Rog. :-)

I'm in Northwood - give me a shout if you run into any issues.

Tried today with a larger socket fitment, it just kept jumping.

I think the bottom bit is knackered, it looks pretty rounded off, I probably made it worse with the mole grips yesterday, kill me!

We tried the belt variety on the larger top bit and it didn't work, both types at the same time, no joy either ha. I am going to go tomorrow and try and get the cup variety, failing that I think I may have to get it out and into a vice. If this is the case, there is 3 wires going into the top of the housing (the other end all together, coming from top of engine) can these be unclipped or will it damage them, they look real fragile?

How much would a whole new housing be(top and bottom), if its still available?

@Fla, Northood, I know it well I went to school there haha its a small world... I can see me racking your brain a lot in the future!

The belt type will shift it if you persevere. If the housing is knackered id be exchanging it as part of the service.