JAM11E

Corrado VR6 Seafoam! (SMOKE SCREEN)

Hi,

I bought a can of Seafoam recently after reading some reviews which praise the product so much.

in a nutshell the product clears the internals of the engine. And there are 3 ways to use this;

1 - Pour around 1/2 can into the fuel tank

2 - Suck the other 1/2 in through the vacuum hose

The above is what i did.

3 - You can also put some directly into the oil (WARNING: Change oil after MAX 500 Miles)

Before I seafoamed the car was a little rattly on idle and some of the gears juddered a bit.

THE VIDEO:

Afterwards the idle was quiter and smoother, the pull through the gears was very smooth and the car felt a lot more responsive.

I recommend filling 1/2 the fuel tank on super unleaded and adding 1/2 a can of seafoam into this :)

Jamie

There's no blue smoke any other time I use the car. I presume this was just the engine being cleaned with the sea foam.

one tiny drop of oil will produce a cloud of smoke, so any oily petroleum based product is likely to burn with some smoke, I'm never very convinced by any product like this but running some through gradually with a tank of fuel is probably the best bet, I can't see it cleaning deposits off the back of your valves much though.

It's also possible the smoother running is due to the product still being in your tank and burning through the engine constantly, my old banger seems happier with redex in the tank too.

Strange name for an engine cleaner! I'm sure I read / heard it was originally made for marine engines? The yanks have sworn by it for years.

Some of their stuff really does work, such as Q-bond, K-Seal & redline oils, but a lot of it is also snake oil!

As David says, I suspect the better running is down the seafoam / petrol mixture in the tank. Most of these cleaners are kerosene basically, with a bit of tolulene added (very high octane) and some oil (upper cylinder lubricant). These burn better than petrol and oil in the fuel will make any engine run a bit smoother.

Not knocking it though. Providing it does actually shift the crud and not just burn the product off, then cleaned piston crowns and spark plug tips can help prevent pre-ignition.

One engine that really does need this is the TFSI as the intake ports and valves clag up with crud like diesels.

Yeah please do!

It would be good to check the intake valves and piston crowns before and after the treatment, but it's a right faff on the VR6.

The whole thing is strangely reminiscent of the Redex treatment back when I was a young and callow youth. A shot of Redex per tank when filling up and for a good old engine clean out suck some in through the vacuum hose. When doing the engine clean it was recommended to get out of built up areas as copious clouds of white smoke were produced. Carbon build up on piston crowns and the back of valves was a lot more common then and the Redex treatment was a proven way of preventing and reducing it.

I suspect the smoke above is just the Sea Foam stuff burning of and will disappear after a few miles.

.....it was recommended to get out of built up areas as copious clouds of white smoke were produced

Quite; I can't see you being particularly popular with your neighbours if this became a part of your weekly cleaning regime!

Carbon build up on piston crowns and the back of valves was a lot more common then and the Redex treatment was a proven way of preventing and reducing it

Yeah fuels and oils have improved a lot.

After 60K miles on a rebuilt VR6 engine, which was used exclusively on Optimax / V Power, the port side of intake valves looked like new. The piston crowns were brown with oil deposits, but they just wiped off with a cloth back to bare metal.

Yeah fuels and oils have improved a lot.

After 60K miles on a rebuilt VR6 engine, which was used exclusively on Optimax / V Power, the port side of intake valves looked like new. The piston crowns were brown with oil deposits, but they just wiped off with a cloth back to bare metal.

Indeed fuels have improved, but then it only cost about 2/- a gallon, that's 10 pence in new money, so you could put up with a bit of carbon. For a long time I had a Redex dispenser system on my cars which was basically a reservoir with a variable feed into the inlet manifold. Controlled by a little needle valve on the steering column along with a vacuum gauge you could adjust on the move. Very handy for tailgaters, just open it up and they retreated rapidly as the smoke billowed out.

The full system cleanout via the vacuum tube was not a regular event, I only really did it on used cars when I first got them, purely as a habit really. The regular dose in the tank was enough to keep the engine pretty clean. Cars were so much simpler then.

I've heard about people using redex directly in the engine through the oil filler hole as well as via the petrol tank for a thorough clean. perhaps this is something similar?

Quite; I can't see you being particularly popular with your neighbours if this became a part of your weekly cleaning regime!

It was a monday afternoon, everyone was at work.