2sheds

Cam cap stud query

So I was swapping my 9a cams out for the KR ones I've had sitting round for a while, everything was going great and went in a dream, then I was torqueing up the cap nuts and this happened

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76639[/ATTACH]

Now, I have an ABF head that a friend gave me (minus cams)and was wondering (as dont have time/money right now to get it skimmed)

Would it be better to use it as is (any benefits of ABF head over 9a?)or would it be better trying to remove existing broken stud and replacing it with one from the ABF head?

ABF head is better than the 9A, slightly improved valvegear, but replacing the stud in the 09A head should be pretty easy???

Aren't the heads the same and it's just the cams that differ?

Anyway, I'd just whip the stud out, will be easy to swap over. If you were to swap the head, it might not need skimming but would ideally need checking as it might just leak!

no, the abf head is a slightly different casting again (from the KR and 9A) and has different valves, guides, collets, springs etc, it was built as a higher revving 2L and as the final 16v head revision from VW has a number of improvements over the previous ones.

Numbers on side of both heads match so will look further into it before finalising, got stud out easy enough and replaced, then just to be a ****er another sheered so I'm going to replace the lot, thanks for info though ;D

15Nm is all, dialled it down to 12 to be safe and still went, only on exhaust side though, inlet seem solid.

If two have gone, chances are they're all quite brittle. I'd change them all for new as the last thing you want is for another to go whilst its running!

Well the throttle body is flowed and inlets been ported so someone spent some money on it, yet they never switched the cams! (and yeah, 6 in total stretched so all changed)