matasj89

Q: Making the G60/16V easier to steer

Now I have always been a fan of the corrados but it seems that VR6 drivetrain is way more superior to the pre 92 corrados. I was interested to know what swaps/jobs/mods could be done so that you could use less force to the steering wheel when steering. It is not me who has the issue but my girlfriend :). Would front end drivetrain swap from a VR6 do the job?

the only improvement I think you could make would be to fit a lower ratio rack from a standard mk2/3 golf, this would make the steering lighter but a little less responsive, VR6 running gear won't make it lighter to steer.

It should not be that heavy, might be worth checking the tension on the V belt that drives the PAS pump and consider a PAS pump fluid change.

From personal experience in having owned both VRs and 4 cylinder cars over the years (and at the same time to enable a direct comparison) I find the 4 cylinder cars handling to be a lot better than the VR due to both the suspension arrangement and the location of the engine/weight in relation to the front axle.

What width wheels do you run on the front?

wider wheels can make it more difficult, especially if the car is stationary.

\Paddy

Yeah, I am thinking of replacing the steering pump anyway. MK2/3 - what is involved in the mod? Would I have to change the steering column as well when replacing the rack? Or does it have the same amount of "teeth" to help with the fitment?

I was running 185 tires all the time. It did change a bit when I went for lower ET rims (ET10).

The mk2 golf uses the same uj between rack and column as the pre 92 corrado, so you can fit any mk2 or 3 rack as long as you have the matching corrado uj

Would Seat Ibiza's steering rack fit as well? We are talking about pre 92 Corrado. My guess is MK2 and MK3 Ibiza should have the same UJ ? Which one is better? Any chance of upgrading the steering pump as well - would I benefit from that?