sexybourbon

lightend fly wheel options

Need some good advice on a lightend flywheel if anyone has any info about what to use or where is best to get one from ?

Or is it better to get the standard one machined ? Heard a few horror stories about flywheels ripping through boxes and what not !! Not sure if its true but any info would be good

Seen a few for sale brand new but there in the states and i cant be arsed with ordering stuff from there with the tax balls and all that

Cheers in advance

I've used 2 lightened flywheels in different cars now, both track cars though. They were the original flywheels that were machined by a local engineers. No problems with either, and they remove a LOT of material!

Hotgolf on clubgti did the one on my mk 3. It was a couple of years ago but cost me £69 returned and went from around 10.5kg to just below 6kg iirc. Lots have used him and many recommend him including me. I've never heard of any negative affects from using them though. Some say you loose a touch of torque, but I can't say I noticed any difference in that respect tbh.

Iv used an engineering company before so could go see them , is it litrally just as easy as taking off matariel or is there a certain side you need to machine ir a certain part

I dint mind running a machined one or was looking to buy one new or second hand of someone

I was thinking of about 6 or 7 kg i do t want it to light that it effects everyday driving

I did hear that hotgolf didnt do work for people anymore but if he is still about then i could give him a message

It needs to be balanced as well but I'm sure anyone with the correct equipment could do it. The material gets taken off of the face generally. There's not much metal on the ring gear side, so the face is where the weight is. Balancing is just a series of drill marks in the appropriate place/s to ensure the same amount is taken off all round.

Chees leon but i can get a brand new clutch for 103 quid and i already have my flywheel for skimming so would be pointless buying those bit thanks for the heads up

I've had a couple of flywheels taken to 6kg by JNL Racing:

http://www.jnlracing.com/

Doesn't make much difference TBH, but it's just a bit keener to rev out, which is nice.

I would recommend you get the face re-machined, or at the very least checked when you get it lightened, to make sure it's in good condition. This is why you'd want to use someone who knows what they're doing rather than 'any old machine shop'

I know :( but it does make a vr rev like a bike when coupled with light weight pulleys! Have a good Christmas every one!

Do you have the full kit? Just looked online and look impressive. Did it make a worth while difference?

Not full kit no, I have the crank pully and tensioner but intend to do the waterpump at a later date.

The crank pulley sold it for me as std is something like 8 - 10kg and the gruven is light as a feather

Im using a mk4 120amp alternator I believe which required altering the pulley offset.

This along with my lightened flywheel / obd2 schrick / 263 cams the pickup was very impressive. Expecially on b roads!!

I reverted back to std flywheel after a few months though as a daily driving motorways i found you had to keep feeding it more throttle as it doesn't hold it momentum as long but as a b road blast though it was awesome and if it were a weekend toy I would have kept it on.

Edited by winchbietch