Kevin Bacon

Dodgy steering - A cure

£23!! WTF?!?

For less money you could by a whole set!!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Metric- ... 9127129345

Oh well, have a browse around for a single 22mm allen socket or something, bound to be one around somwhere.

Sure the clonk isn't something knocking on the car as the engine moves?

With the engine off and flicking the steering left to right, do you get any clunking?

Kev superb post i will have to look in to this when i next have my car in bits. How do you know how much to adjust by, is it quite obvious when you're doing it?

Nah, me old pal Pat McCrotch ordered it in for me and it was around a fiver :D

I dunno if clonking whilst accelerating is steering related but it can't hurt to tighten it up anyway!

Hmm, I just got a quote of £23.50 inc discount from my VW man! :( Seems a bit steep to me.

I WILL get to the bottom of this noise one day! Let's just hope it's nothing to do with the Wavetrac diff! Next stop is taking the O/S driveshaft off again and taking a look at the gearbox flange, but that's another topic.

ask GSF or ECP, I'm sure you can get them for about 6 quid at places other than VW.

Nah, me old pal Pat McCrotch ordered it in for me and it was around a fiver :D

I dunno if clonking whilst accelerating is steering related but it can't hurt to tighten it up anyway!

Hmm, I just got a quote of £23.50 inc discount from my VW man! :( Seems a bit steep to me.

I WILL get to the bottom of this noise one day! Let's just hope it's nothing to do with the Wavetrac diff! Next stop is taking the O/S driveshaft off again and taking a look at the gearbox flange, but that's another topic.

Mine had that clonk when accelerating turned out to be the steering rack i had it at slow speeds aswell, as the wavetrac is putting more strain on the rack

Interesting. I never would have linked a clonk in the steering with accelerative forces, but there you go, just proves nothing is weird or impossible with Corrados!

Kev superb post i will have to look in to this when i next have my car in bits. How do you know how much to adjust by, is it quite obvious when you're doing it?

If you peel back the steering gaiter on the offside, apply some lock then grab the shiny pole (the rack) and pull it back and forth. If there's play, the adjuster needs winding in. Just wind it in until there's no play. The difference between play and no play is literally a tiny tweak, something like 1/16th of a turn...but it depends how far off yours is to begin with.

That play you can feel can also usually be heard as a clonk when you turn the steering wheel left to right.

Mine had that clonk when accelerating turned out to be the steering rack i had it at slow speeds aswell, as the wavetrac is putting more strain on the rack

Yeah Dave told me about your rack being the issue on your car when i spoke to him a few weeks ago. I had the Track rods off last weekend though and couldnt feel any movement in the rack pulling on the inner rods.

Really hard to work out as it only happens when the car is moving. Might be an idea to put the car on stands and then run the engine through 1st and 2nd gear to see if I can trace it that way. Don't fancy lieing under the car while it's doing that too much though.

I have to get to the bottom of this before I go FI as I think that will just exacerbate the problem, it's been bugging me for months!

Yeah Dave told me about your rack being the issue on your car when i spoke to him a few weeks ago. I had the Track rods off last weekend though and couldnt feel any movement in the rack pulling on the inner rods.

Really hard to work out as it only happens when the car is moving. Might be an idea to put the car on stands and then run the engine through 1st and 2nd gear to see if I can trace it that way. Don't fancy lieing under the car while it's doing that too much though.

I have to get to the bottom of this before I go FI as I think that will just exacerbate the problem, it's been bugging me for months!

Graham was really pulling at the track rods to get them to make the clonking noise i thought i could live with it when they showed me but i returned a few weeks later and told them the clonking noise was doing my head in so new rack installed car is now clonkless

I THINK I may have found an answer to my knocking problem: both arb bolts (13mm between the rear wishone and rear subframe bolt) are loose and just spin and spin when I try to tighten or loosen them.

Is it just a case of lowering the whole subframe and engine until I can get access to the top of them or is there something more sinister involved?

Isn't there supposed to be a captive nut on one side? In fact I there is from memory..... sounds odd the bolt is spinning. Captive nuts come away from their mountings?

That probably would cause a clonk pulling away!

Imwas pretty surprised too, can't believe I hadn't checked that before now.

The arb bush and arm that secures it were replaced when I built the subframe up, and I'm sure I torqued them up. Another job for the weekend!

I THINK I may have found an answer to my knocking problem: both arb bolts (13mm between the rear wishone and rear subframe bolt) are loose and just spin and spin when I try to tighten or loosen them.

Is it just a case of lowering the whole subframe and engine until I can get access to the top of them or is there something more sinister involved?

yep, just lower them a bit and get a spanner on the captive (or not as the case may be) nut, just had to do that on one side on my 8v

I haven't done the pinion play adjustment yet, can't be bothered to lie on a cold floor, but in the meantime I stumbled on this on the ARZ tuning site - http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_i ... Vento.html

Can anyone with ETKA confirm it's a proper VW kit?

Might be worth a go as a cheap way to repair a leaking rack? As I say, it's the only issue I've had with VR6 racks. The rack and pinion themselves barely wear.

I haven't done the pinion play adjustment yet, can't be bothered to lie on a cold floor, but in the meantime I stumbled on this on the ARZ tuning site - http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_i ... Vento.html

Can anyone with ETKA confirm it's a proper VW kit?

Might be worth a go as a cheap way to repair a leaking rack? As I say, it's the only issue I've had with VR6 racks. The rack and pinion themselves barely wear.

Good find, wonder if you can get a repair kit for the TRW racks? Didnt seem to have one on the site.

1H0 498 020A

yep that part is a 'set of seals for ZF power steering 16v,VR6 (well those cars with a ZF rack obviously)

and...

1H0 498 020 set of seals for TRW

(I believe Boost Monkey bought one of these sets of seals from VW last year?)

AOF 063 000 04 - 250g steering grease :) (that's an alphabetic 'O' not a zero in AOF)

Hmmm, cool.

I think for the good of scientific experimentation and for the forum, I might buy a seal kit and figure out how to 'rebuild' a rack!

I suspect I'll fall at the first hurdle when a VW specific tool is needed, but I'll give it a darn good crack!

Hmmm, cool.

I think for the good of scientific experimentation and for the forum, I might buy a seal kit and figure out how to 'rebuild' a rack!

I suspect I'll fall at the first hurdle when a VW specific tool is needed, but I'll give it a darn good crack!

Thats a good idea kev. Let us know how you get on mate, if you do that is. :)

1H0 498 020 set of seals for TRW

(I believe Boost Monkey bought one of these sets of seals from VW last year?)

I have ordered that set from vw today, it is currently on back order. :(

My car has a slow leak on the drivers side of the rack. The rack has no play etc. in it at all so i would rather fix it than gamble on a 2nd hand rack. I'm going to get the rack off and get stuck in as soon as i get hold of the seals.

Will post up some info/pics.

My parts arrived today :clap: 1H0 498 020 for trw rack, new boots and some fluid.

I will have a crack at it this weekend. Any tips and info would be much appreciated! Any idea what the white sticker is for :confused4: it was in a bag with the seals.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfSL372219.JPG[/attachment:3en1o65o]

SL372221.JPG[/attachment:3en1o65o]

Looks like the box of parts that I ordered. IIRC it was £££. £30 springs to mind, but I might be way off...it was a lot more than I was expecting anyways. I might have posted it up in the Plum thread somewhere.

Yeah should do. Where the VR6 is concerned, I would imagine the parking weight would be crazy :lol: I reckon the steering column anchor points would break or bend eventually from all the effort in turning the wheel :D

Would a non adjustable rack from a mk 2 golf fit do you reckon?

I take it you mean non PAS rack (yes will fit) , and not a non-adjustable steering column? (column may be a diff length to corrado one)