jayjay73

Storm Grey VR6 - with B12

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76857[/ATTACH]

Happy New Year guys. My best Christmas present this year from my wife was the above pictured plate. As the car was for my 40th birthday it is quite apt. I have always been a bit of a sceptic on the topic of private plates but how could I say no to this generous gift?

Over the hols my under bonnet foam has given up the ghost (disintegrates when you so much as look at it) so my next job over the coming days is to scrape off the old and replace with some 12mm fireproof foam.

Also my passenger side electric window is going to need some attention as it only goes about half way down before stopping. Have tried wd40 down the runners but no joy. Could it be a replacement window regulator is required? Appreciate that there have been several posts on this topic but appreciate some views before I try taking the door card off (it's been about 15 years since I last messed around with door cards so I am a little nervous about making a balls of it!):o.

Weather forecast seems good tomorrow so will go for a cheeky blast I think....:dance:

Edited by jayjay73

Hmmm - sorry - I previewed the posting and it had a picture embedded so must have done it wrong. Does this work now?

VRG_zpsfb9be39c.jpg?t=1388610956

Nice plate ,quite a few VRG,s around including my C11VRG. Sounds like you might need a window reg but worth getting door card off & having a good look around

Thanks guys. A few more pics taken over the past couple of days (assuming I have uploaded the images correctly this time)

DSC_0145_01_zps273612ce.jpg

DSC_0148_01_zpsf665f31c.jpg

and a couple from under the bonnet...the foam glue is a bit of a pain to remove - I found white spirit, a paint brush, an old storecard for a scraper and some wd40 to finish off is working best. And 3 hours at least.

Underbonnet_01_zpsfe730b77.jpg?t=1388823467

Engine bay reasonably tidy imo...

Underbonnet3_01_zpsb7dc648a.jpg?t=1388823462

Nice plate. I'm after one, would like Ray in it but need big big dollars for that. My bonnet foam is on its last legs also, what is the best replacement, to use?

Ray, I have just about finished stripping the old adhesive from under the bonnet (95%completed) and have bought some 12mm Fireseal fire retardant acoustic foam sheet with self-adhesive backing (easyfoam). Will let you know how I get on with cutting out the shapes and fixing it on - should have it done by tomorrow hopefully. I know others have used the foam faced with foil but my DIY skills are limited so hopefully my choice will be relatively straightforward.

Good luck on finding a plate that is reasonably-priced.

Cheers.

Ray, I have just about finished stripping the old adhesive from under the bonnet (95%completed) and have bought some 12mm Fireseal fire retardant acoustic foam sheet with self-adhesive backing (easyfoam). Will let you know how I get on with cutting out the shapes and fixing it on - should have it done by tomorrow hopefully. I know others have used the foam faced with foil but my DIY skills are limited so hopefully my choice will be relatively straightforward.

Good luck on finding a plate that is reasonably-priced.

Cheers.

Cheers Jay, for the info, yes plz let me know how you go on

A short update - finally stripped back the old foam...

Foamremoved_zps61183317.jpg

Traced templates using grease-proof paper, then cut out the shapes from the foam sheet and voila. Not quite perfect but it looks 100% better than previously.

newfoam_01_zps1ded7679.jpg

Given the outlay on materials was less than £20 I am quite pleased with the result. And the grey coloured foam co-ordinates with the paintwork!

Next jobs are to check out the passenger window regulator and then get the alloys refurbed. Happy days.

That looks great, can you let me know where you bought the foam from please? What did you use to remove the glue btw.

Yesterday a couple of things arrived in the post...

1. Warning triangle (OE spec) - thanks Lilfuzzer, and

2. Bilstein B12 prokit :cool:

Was originally intending to keep it as standard as possible but having seen the recommendations on here have decided to take the plunge. Really like the look of a 25-30mm drop and hoping that my 90mm splitter will stay in tact once it's fitted. Car is SORN at the moment but as soon as it's fitted I will stick some photos up.

MOT passed today with NO advisories.:dance: TFFT.

Oil and filter change and she's purring again.

Got 35mpg going to work as well this morning, admittedly taking it steady. Reduced to 29 coming home due to post MOT excitement.

Got "blown away" on the M18 by a Jag F type S. Seriously quick car and sounded brilliant. And so it should for the money.

Next job is to get the B12s fitted...

Got the car back this morning after having the B12s fitted - all I can say is wow! What a difference to the overall handling and cornering from the standard suspension. If you are thinking of upgrading to B12s then do it. :dance:

DSC_0748_01_zpsnjsd9taa.jpg

DSC_0752_01_zpsailmrupo.jpg

DSC_0754_01_zpsdltc6oej.jpg

Looking good. Right Better get mine fitted. Been sat in a box for too long...

Cheers Edd. Mine was sat boxed up in my garage for 4 months. Really does make a difference. I am v happy with how it looks and the improvement in the driving experience. With the 15" speedlines the ride doesn't feel hard either. Cornering is so much better and it feels planted to the road. You won't be disappointed...

The C looks cracking Jay :thumbleft: Not too low with the B12s - it looks just right and you should keep your splitter intact! lol

The C looks cracking Jay :thumbleft: Not too low with the B12s - it looks just right and you should keep your splitter intact! lol

Cheers Andy. Yes I am well chuffed with the result, both visually and with road handling. Not crashy at all and the cornering is transformed... it was a little wallowy before, but now I love it even more.

Did you go for 30mm drop at front or 25mm?

Sorry Chuggs I didn't measure the drop but guess it is 25 mm. Two finger gap roughly between arch and tyre... Cheers.