Andy R32

Moonlight Blue 8v Daily

After my original newbie post nearly 6 months ago I thought a New Year's resolution should be to start a Gallery!

I bought my Moonlight Blue 8v to replace my diesel Ibiza as a daily, I was originally looking for a T5 Caravelle I didn't really need but got distracted by Corrados (alphabetcally after Caravelle on the drop downs on Autotrader). I've always wanted one but never really had the right circumstances, but when I saw there were only 9 for sale at the time nationally on Autotrader it was a case now or never. It was the only 8v on there, it was fairly local (20miles away) and looked like on honest car with only 98k on the clock. Two owners from new (the guy I bought it off and his aunt) and matching decent tyres all round (Contis) so although there was a lack of evidence of sevice history from 63k it looked well looked after and had been garaged.

After reading the buyers guide I was surprised nearly all the electrics worked (only the passenger side door mirror adjustment was an issue) however a fog lamp was cracked and a front indicator also had a slight crack, the main issues were some stone chip rust blisters starting to come through on the leading edge of the rear arches a little around the fuel filler and at the rear edge of the offside front wing (the worst about the size of a 10p piece), a heavy ding on the drivers door and worn through bolster on the driver's seat back and base.

After the first few weeks of ownership I was surprised how good it was on fuel (37/38 on a tank without trying) how 'steady' the peformance was (my diesel ibiza was quicker!) and how much useful stuff there is on here!

First job was a service, then I got hold of some front fogs and indicators from local breakers year. The 'Cars Breaking' section on here turned up a drivers door in Moonlight blue and I managed to get a full set of seats for £50 from Lilfuzzer on here (top bloke) which I strpped down to do the bolster swap and got a local trimmer to swap the worn through panel on the seat back with one from the passenger seat (the other seats had worn through too). After a heads-up in the classifieds that OE floor mats were still available, a quick trip to TPS and these were ordered up. Then, after the clocks went back and my wife complaining after drving it that I 'need to do something about the candles' an uprated loom and Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited went on (massive improvement).

Stylehaus in Northampton sorted out the rust spots on the rear quaters and wings (still need to drop off the drivers door I sourced to get them to freshen that up). I put an Alpine 'mechless' head unit in (the orginal Sony was supplied but not fitted) which has iPhone Bluetooth conenction, works really well and well worth £70.

MOT time last month saw a fail on the two anti-roll bar drop links (I thought the rattling was top mounts) but this was an easy fix (two Meyle links £20).

I've still got a load of jobs as long as may arm I want to do, my old Ibiza (still have it - awaiting breaking) will donate the 280mm brake carriers and maybe the 110 AFN engine(?) along with a set of Cupra 5 spoke 16" wheels (not keen on the 5 spoke Westwood wheels and they don't hold air that well). Next jobs are brake fuild change and deep clean on the interior.

Stuff I think would be good to do;

Get hold of a door handle repair kit to have on the shelf for when the ineviable happens,

Get a spare fan blower assemby / motor - there seems to be problem with the fan, sometime you start ther car and there's no fan (nothing at all - not even on speed 4) then the next time you go to ignition on it works again - I think it's on borrowed time, any ideas?

Anyway, here are some pics;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76914[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76915[/ATTACH]

Andy

Looks a tidy little motor there Andy, good work so far! Good to see it being cared for and kept in nice clean original condition. Have a search about the forum if your doing the diesel conversion yourself. I think purpletom did a pretty good writeup on it when he did his mate.