Roger Chatfield

Instrument lights on all the time **FIXED**

Good evening all.

Bit of a strange problem this, my instrument lighs (including my oil and volt gauges) and on all the time the ignition is on, also the dimmer no longer works, the lights stay at full brightness.

Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Many thanks

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Only a guess as I've not encountered this but, sounds like something's amiss with your headlight switch as the power to the instruments as well as the dimmer work through that...

Ok, this gets weirder and weirder..... If I turn the lights on with the ignition off the fan blower comes on and I can control the speed of the blower using the lights dimmer...

I've disconnected the light switch and the instrument lights coming on with ignition problem is the same so I'm thinking it's not the switch.

Anyone have any ideas??

Rog.

Lol! Sorry mate, I know it's not funny!

I'd start off cleaning up all your earth points in the engine bay and checking again. There's a disk where all the internal earth meet behind the drivers side dash vent too, worth checking nothings loose there. It's a weird one, but earths cause some weird problems! Other than that I couldn't really say apart from a short/earth somewhere. When I got my car, the engine wouldn't turn off when the lights were on. Wiring was a shambles so I spent ages making good and heat shrinking all the bare wire that was twisted together and uninsulated everywhere. Don't know what specifically was causing it, but it sorted problem.

Cheers Jon.

I've just removed the 'X' relay (no 18, position 4) and the instrument lights are not coming on with the ignition so thats good however the fan now wont work unless the lights are on, replace the relay and it's back to same problems.

I'm thinking the 'X' relay could be my problem, I'll get a new one and take it from there, what's the bast place to get one??

Rog.

Id say dealers theres a part number on page 2 of that thread i put up in previous post. They are used on a lot of cars so chances are they will have on in the back

Popped up to Devon Dub Shack today and picked up a replacement 18 relay, no change.. :(

Any other ideas chaps?

I'm thinking it must be a problem somewhere where the ignition and lighting circuits meet, likely suspects I'm thinking of are light switch (already removed, no change), ignition switch, indicator stalk, radio and maybe the heater controls, plan is to disconnect each in turn and see what happens.

If anyone has any other ideas do please tell.

Rog.

FIXED....

I got the books out and had a good look at the circuit diagram, after a bit of head scratching I realised that the ign circuit was being fed when the light switch was on via the dimmer so I removed fuse 3 and the fault disappeared, thus something that is fed by fuse 3 and is also fed by the ign supply is shorting making the light circuit live when the ign key is turned.

It was just a case of finding out what... heated seat switch check out ok, next was the rear window demist... bingo.. fault disappears when the switch is removed... however does not reappear when the switch is replaced..mmm.. looks like it's repaired itself...lol.. probably a short in the switch and the act of removing it has fixed it... I'll get a replacement switch anyway but lets just say I'm very happy...

Rog.