Ray1965

Wet carpet drivers side foot well

Was hoovering the car today and noticed that the carpet was wet where the seat belt anchor (slider)drivers side passenger foot well (see pics). Just the carpet near the door seal was wet. I'm thinking it could be the seal its self, but i'm not sure. This was after washing the car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77161[/ATTACH] This the passenger side dry as a bone >>>>>>>>>>>>[ATTACH=CONFIG]77162[/ATTACH]

Edited by Ray1965

Think i might have sussed this, i put the hose on the drivers door ran water down the window and i had water running out of the door card, will be taking off the door card tomorrow to inspect the membrane. Any tips on what do do and not to do when removing the door cards? :thumbleft:

Hidden door card screw inside the speaker cover and inside the interior door handle cover. The rest should be self explanatory :)

Once the screws are off the door card. Don't push the door card upward against the thin interior door/window trim strip as this could easily split it. Instead push the door card out towards the passenger side direction.

Edited by VWVW

Well i got the card off this morning thank you for the hidden screw tip in the speaker VWVW, I would have missed that tbh, cheers. Then to reveal this complete mess. I previous Bodge I think. I've made a new membrane for now, will look into getting replacements if they are still available? dunno.

Hopefully this will stop the rain coming past the door card and trickling in over the door seal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77177[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77178[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77179[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77180[/ATTACH]

Edited by Ray1965

I'm pretty sure vw just supply a roll of plastic now, no tailored membrane available.

Source of many a Corrados wet carpets, just make sure you pay close attention to the little drain holes in the inner door skin, only bond the membrane in the groove just below them.

That membrane sure isn't in a good state!!

Hopefully you can reuse the existing bonding glue type stuff - it seems to stay sticky for eternity! Just push the new membrane onto it once you've cut it out.

It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover my breaker bodywise looked like it had not been looked after very well inside it had never been messed with. Good job Ray :thumbleft:

just make sure you pay close attention to the little drain holes in the inner door skin, only bond the membrane in the groove just below them.

Opps i didn't know this. Any pics of these? Just stuck the membrane roughly where the original was.

The new membrane stuff comes in grey foam now

Replacement is now foam, will do some research to where to buy, it i think. Cheers for your input guys.

I have now just read a post on what glue to use? came across a reply saying that someone had some spare foam. what is the make of it etc...

link to post http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=60456

I've got a roll of the stuff, it's a bit thicker than the OEM but does the job. How much do you need?
Edited by Ray1965

Quick up date, judjing from the monsoon rain we had here in south yorkshire last night it looks like the repair on the membrane has worked ok, no sign of water egress. :thumbleft:

I had this same issue and stripped the door down on mine, replacing the back half of the membrane with DPC..... will probably go back in, in due course and re-replace the whole thing using either the original sealant or some new non-setting stuff to replace it.

on mine i did away with the single piece and made up smaller sections per opening size from some heavy duty polythene. I think there are some pics in my car thread? That said i've been thinking about doing something that is made of some heavy plastic with a seal around the edge that screws onto the open holes.

on mine i did away with the single piece and made up smaller sections per opening size from some heavy duty polythene. I think there are some pics in my car thread? That said i've been thinking about doing something that is made of some heavy plastic with a seal around the edge that screws onto the open holes.

Thats not a bad idea that.

Mine is now drying out well and no more water has come in. (touching wood) this monsoon has tested my fix.

Quick up date, judjing from the monsoon rain we had here in south yorkshire last night it looks like the repair on the membrane has worked ok, no sign of water egress. :thumbleft:

Scrub that last comment...Got a leak again :tumbleweed:the sealant did not work, cant find any of the proper sealant that does not cure locally.

Scrub that last comment...Got a leak again :tumbleweed:the sealant did not work, cant find any of the proper sealant that does not cure locally.

How about using the sealant that is used to fit car windscreen...if you see a mobile windscreen fitter you could buy a tub of them I suppose and give that a try.

I used Tiger sealant - it is used for sealing bodywork seams such as wing/body joint. It stays flexible for a long tome. Quite expensive, but has not leaked.

Best wishes

RB

I used Tiger sealant - it is used for sealing bodywork seams such as wing/body joint. It stays flexible for a long tome. Quite expensive, but has not leaked.

Best wishes

RB

Cheers RB, will look into it.

This happened to me the other week, sealed the membrane with black silicone sealant, the next couple of days and it was damp after heavy rain but strangely has not been wet since despite the downpours of late?!

Just a thought , but have you checked the triangle that sits between the window and the mirror ?. I removed my membrane as i had wet carpets . I refitted the membrane , the carpet and soundproofing were drying so i had just the metal of the floor showing , i checked the car after a serious down pour and found water still coming in . It was then i looked to the triangle and saw it was not tight and water was coming in .The screw was not even done up because the triangle was not in place . Once i had pushed it into place the screw lined up and pulled it tight . Checked again after more rain and it was dry inside . Worth a check on yours maybe ?.

Rob

Guest sam1990rhodes

resurrecting an old thread a little... just to confirm ive got this right, the plastic lining behind the door car is in place to stop water getting in the car?

Just a thought , but have you checked the triangle that sits between the window and the mirror ?. I removed my membrane as i had wet carpets . I refitted the membrane , the carpet and soundproofing were drying so i had just the metal of the floor showing , i checked the car after a serious down pour and found water still coming in . It was then i looked to the triangle and saw it was not tight and water was coming in .The screw was not even done up because the triangle was not in place . Once i had pushed it into place the screw lined up and pulled it tight . Checked again after more rain and it was dry inside . Worth a check on yours maybe ?.

Rob

hi ive been reading this, my drivers carpet is getting wet,ive put duck tape around the door membrane but just seen this about triangle.ive not got the screw in my triangle as the threads are worn in it.do you recon this could cause it

It could well be . As said , the screw on mine had missed the locating hole . When I had out it in place the leak stopped . Worth a try mate .

i might need to buy a new triangle then as the threads are knackered in mine.i did change the throttle cable a few weeks back so could be coming through there