Roger Chatfield

Stereo mod... USB connection.

I've got a really nice DAB radio in my Corrado, I've changed the display colours so it looks OE and am really pleased with it but one thing really winds me up with it.

The USB connection for my ipod is on the front, I hate the untidy cable coming out the front.

IMG_4335_zpsebf6c3db.jpg

So what I plan to do is have an additional USB socket out the back so I can have my ipod permanently connected.

First job, remove the stereo and dismantle.

IMG_4330_zps55d38186.jpg

Then locate the rear of the USB connection, it's on the printed circuit that forms the removable front control panel.

IMG_4331_zps130cdfbb.jpg

Next job is to drill a hole in the rear cover of the control panel to allow the extension cable to pass through, I also drilled a hole in front cover of the main unit.

IMG_4332_zpsdcd85be2.jpg

I've used a USB extension cable that I got from ebay, I've cut the plug end off (leaving the socket end on) and passed it through the main unit and then through the two covers that I've drilled holes in.

IMG_4333_zps3f385940.jpg

I then soldered the cable to the rear of the USB connector.

IMG_4334_zps6922c6fa.jpg

The stereo was then rebuilt and fitted, the 'new rear' USB connection is passed through a hole that i drilled in the passenger side storage shelf.

IMG_4336_zps8075de43.jpg

Ipod is connected and now lives permanently on the shelf, I did think about putting it in the glove box but went for the shelf as passengers can use it or connect their USB based players without having to have the glovebox open, however after some thought I may move it to the ashtray.

IMG_4337_zps52e4bac0.jpg

And.... taaa daaaa, ipod connection with no messy cables... I must say I'm rather chuffed with myself.. :)

IMG_4338_zpsd1eeb788.jpg

Rog.

Brave man, I'd be worried about blowing up my nice headunit! Looks like a good job though.

Ahh, I knew the job I'm in will stand me in good stead for something! Lol.

I have a USB connector at the front of mine too. Fortunately I also have a stereo Jack input, and I have a right angled Jack connector so the wire goes straight down to the little cubby hole below the ashtray to connect my phone. (Doesn't have Bluetooth though) and I connect my phone (not a thoroughly incompatible with everything else on earth and overpriced Apple device) straight to that. :smug:

Nice work.

Is all the audio conversion done in the front panel? Did you check if there were direct tracks through the face plate connector and to the main unit so you wouldn't of had to drill into the face plate?

Is all the audio conversion done in the front panel? Did you check if there were direct tracks through the face plate connector and to the main unit so you wouldn't of had to drill into the face plate?

That was my original plan but once I got the cover off I realised it wasn't possible, the tracks go via surface mount components and an i/c so the front panel was the only option.

Rog.