dawillabeast

93 VR6 with Clifford Concept 650 MKII - Problems

So I purchased this car last night after watching the owner start it numerous times, driving it for a bit, and giving it a good look over. Stopped on the way home and shut the car off and started it back up without issue. Went to start it today and nothing. Will not turn over. All electrical works, alarm works(arms/disarms) as it should. As I said this car has the Clifford Concept 650 MKII security system with the proof of professional installation done in 2008. Where this is my first Rado, and the first car I am considering a "project car", I am not too familiar with everything. I have a feeling it has something to do with the security system, even though it seems to be functioning properly. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be uploading a few pictures shortly.

Could be the ignition switch, a common thing to go, had to do mine last year. You could try wiggling the key in the ignition to see if it'll start(sometimes helps).

There is also an ignition switch bypass detailed on here somewhere which is very easy and would at least rule it out.

I'll find the link later once I'm off my phone

Don't forget you'll need to do a basic engine set up sequence if you disconnect the battery too.

I had the same alarm for years and was fine till it was about 10 years old and then kept doing all sorts of sillly things so i just had it replaced with the up to date version and all is well again. Didn't want old wiring causing me issues while away somewhere.

Every time you remove the battery or disconnect it the ecu goes into factor safe mode and sometimes doesn't run as smoothly of economically.

Have a search on here. RW1 did a write up on how to do it. :)

I was considering calling and having someone from clifford come out to take a look at it, but that costs a good deal. Has anyone had good luck with local garages working on security systems as complex as these?

Every time you remove the battery or disconnect it the ecu goes into factor safe mode and sometimes doesn't run as smoothly of economically.

Have a search on here. RW1 did a write up on how to do it. :)

Just founds it in the wiki, might explain my slight poor running when cold, cheers mate.

Rog.

Is the starter getting 12v when you try start the car?

Did you try contact the previous owner and see if it was an issue they had seen before?

sean - I looked through all 15 pages of that thread, but didn't recognize anywhere near me. I am fairly new to the area, so if you or anyone else knows of someone around the Bury St Edmunds area that would be welcome information.

paddy - I have no way of checking voltage at the moment. I'll be towing it to a nearby garage where I can look over things more properly this weekend.

May sound silly, but IIRC my old clifford would sometimes require me to turn the key, then press unlock on the fob to de-immobilise the car before it started (there was usually a time frame where I could just unlock, get in and fire up but it would often fail). I'm guessing you've tried this? If not it's worth a shout.

Having said that, I've had 3 cars with cliffords fitted and they were all problematic! Seems they have a shelf life. Good luck!

So I had some time to really dig around today and I narrowed the issue down to the Ignition Switch. The security system and alarm are in perfect working order, and the Ignition Switch is solid in positions 1(off) and 2(run) but the connection must be going in position 3(start). With a little patience and a lot of force I was able to find the sweet spot and get it started. Thanks everyone for your help. Now I just need to get that Ignition Switch ordered and installed, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I looked around on here for an Ignition Switch, but can only find the Wiki article on how to replace it. The Wiki does have a part number for ordering through VAG, but I can't seem to find one. Any recommendations for a good site to order through?

Now I just need to get that Ignition Switch ordered and installed, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

:lol: just wait to you get to that screw :lol: