fitzy121

Track car project ..

Well i got myself a G60 which is perfect for my plans as the shell is totally solid , no welding repairs required . Which is a relief as its not my favourite job and theres enough to do with the seam welding and the cage .Im assuming someone may recognize this car as it has a corrado.net sticker in the rear window . I have been using it on the road for the last few weeks for giggles until the tax ran out now she has come into the shop to go on her " diet " . The mods that have already been done when i got it did include some FK coilovers that are pretty ruined as whoever fitted them never greased the bodies so they are very rusty and took me a day with a wire brush and the bottles to free off , ill replace them when finances allow . It has quite a nice 4 branch manifold that was pretty badly cracked due to the coilovers being set so low that the manifold was constantly hitting the anti roll bar , it gave the welder a good workout . A very nice ( if noisy ) Longlife stainless exhaust . The charger looks like it has had some work done to the exhaust . It has a bbm RSR kit fitted . Twin inlet filter kit , 68mm pulley and the other usual mods .

This weeks cost has included :

LC1 Wideband O2 sensor and gauge ( in preparation for standalone ecu )

New cambelt and tensioner

dizzy cap

rotor arm

plug leads

was gonna get plugs too but my wallet s$%t itself when i realised how much they were lol . Next weeks job

There is a complete grey heated leather interior that has been removed from the car i will only be retaining the dashboard and sun visors , you will find this in the parts for sale thread :smug:

Hoping to try and finance some of the rest of the build with it .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77848[/ATTACH]

Look forward to seeing this 1 develop, maybe even put it head to head with mine one day. Corrados make great track cars, good luck

Cheers adam .

Got bored at work today , its been a quiet few days . So had a dig around in all the spares on the shelves to see what i could reuse for the rado tatty racer project .

Found an emerald K6 ecu i bought for a sigma engined project a few years ago that ended up being abandoned . A ford gen 2 coilpack , ford puma throttle body ( deal with a lot of fords ) , and some other bits and bats from old projects .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77931[/ATTACH]

So after giving everything a coat of looking at and with a plan in mind i decided to set about fitting a throttle position switch to the throttle body . Firstly to butcher the ford throttle body all i want from this is the TPS and the spindle .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77932[/ATTACH]

All it took then was a bit of tin bashing to knock up a bracket to hold the TPS in position over the now extended throttle spindle . Because of the direction that the switch operated i had to mount this on the bottom of the throttle body .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77933[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77934[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77935[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77936[/ATTACH]

Hmm i could of sworn i had taken a picture of it all painted finished and fitted . Not to worry i can post one another day if anyone is interested . It all works next time i am bored i think i will tackle making some brackets for the coil pack ..............

Edited by fitzy121

Had another hour or 2 on the car tonight . Got the battery relocated to behind the passenger seat area . Found a battery tray repair panel that will weld in nicely there and will provide me with battery clamp mounting points . Someone at one point had , i assume a rather substantial stereo in this car if some of the wiring is anything to go by . Saved me some money though as i reused the heavy gauge wiring . Only cost me a new pair of battery terminals . Ill trim the wire to the final length after the cage is fitted and the battery tray altered and welded in .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77972[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77973[/ATTACH]

Oh and the pics i missed yesterday .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77971[/ATTACH]

Well got the dashboard out now so could finally see the extent of the hacked up wiring loom . So after removing the remnants of three alarms , freeview aerial , gps aerial and tons of other ICE related bumf we have a wiring loom that weighs probably less than the wiring that has been removed . The scary thing was that the majority of the stereo goodies and such were connected via scotchloks , it looked like a recipe for a fire .

Its a bit tidier now before you should of seen the huge bundle of wiring that fell out from behind the dash into the footwell .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77988[/ATTACH]

So after I got the car loom in a decent state . I made a start on assembling the loom for the ecu ..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77989[/ATTACH]

Pretty much got the loom where i want it all then realised that i dont have a laptop with a serial port . So i have no way currently to talk to the ecu . This brought work to a grinding halt for today . Will have to get a serial-USB adapter .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77990[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77991[/ATTACH]

So i wrote a list of the items i still need to get .

If anyone can help with any of these items drop me a PM plz .

2.5 - 3bar map sensor pref magneti marelli style .

36-1 triggerwheel or lupo crankshaft oilseal triggerwheel thing

FMIC

16" wheels ?

Boost return pipework

Air box

Bigger brakes

Cant decide on new coilovers or new inserts for existing coilovers .

Well its been a busy couple months at work . In the meanwhile i have been collecting parts . A few ebay bargains , a few not so bargains and a couple proper mistakes have been had . So since my last post she has had fitted :

Front mount intercooler . £31+P&P would have been rude not to have a go . Previous owner said it was removed from a corrado but i have my doubts as the thing looks brand new ,barring a few bent vanes . There is no oil residue inside whatso ever . It was a pig of a thing to fit though . It invvolved a fair bit of trimming . I think it looks ok though . Time will tell how effective it is .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78891[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78892[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78900[/ATTACH]

How the pipework was laid out when i fitted the intercooler have had a change round since .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78896[/ATTACH]

While i had the injectors out to upgrade to rallye greys , i noticed that the injector loom was fubar . So a new set of EV1 connectors courtesy of ebay and a new loom was built up . Need to think of a better way to protect the loom from the heat of the exhaust manifold .. possibly some wrap .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78898[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78899[/ATTACH]

Other work that has been done but i didnt take any photos includes a schrick 268/272 camshaft , new followers . I took the charger down to matt@Ocd for a new mainshaft fitting ( due to a snapped bolt ) and he gave it a clean bill of health which is a relief . Im not going to have the time or the money to setup the stand alone ecu this year , so in the meantime i have got a chip made up via matt@ocd.

I have got some sparco buckets waiting in the wings need to get the cage built first and im waiting on my mate to do that but hes crying off as hes just had the snip ( poor lad ).

When i bought my rallye u-bend it came with a pile of other pipework and some boost return pipework so i was having a play around with it all yesterday to see what fits where and what pipes i might need to buy , looks like i might have got away with it .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78894[/ATTACH]

I was so happy with thatresult i made a start on making the heat shielding around where the air filter will be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78895[/ATTACH]

Well now everything in the engine bay is mocked up i get to start stripping it all back out now ...

Edited by fitzy121
edit pics

Yes the mk2 was gorgeous . The info said it was a replica but it had all the correct period parts . based on a rs1800 the bda lump sounded fantastic and it didn't do too bad keeping up with the super tourers from the 90,s .

Have you ever seen a zakspeed mk1 capri ? If i had one i would cry with happiness every time i turned the key. Pics look good tho pal, looks like a good day

Really i think i have some pics from last years gold cup at oulton park , that will make you squirm . See if i can find em ...

Found em . You should like this then . It was the loudest thing on the track during the historic touring car race ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78918[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78916[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78915[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78914[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78913[/ATTACH]

Tim Harveys RS500 ( you can just see his head over the bonnet )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78912[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78911[/ATTACH]

One of Stirling Moss' old cars

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78922[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78921[/ATTACH]

cars i wish i could own especially the bmw 2002

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78908[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78923[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78920[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78919[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78917[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78910[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78909[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]78924[/ATTACH]

"Cars i wish i could own especially the bmw 2002."

You have immaculate taste. All of those are gorgeous machines including the Capri and RS500. Dream garage stuff...

Nice work on the Rado too. Track time is mega fun and even more so in a stripped out 'Rado.

Decided i didnt like/dont want the twin filter setup that was on the car . So after a bit of head scratching i decided to remove the boost return pipework again and i have decided to try one of the paper cone filters . This is it mocked up for now .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79112[/ATTACH]

Need to get a larger inlet flange and do a bit more trimming on the heat shield .

The last few weeks i have been getting more and more annoyed with my daily . Which is a plastic pig ( renault espace ) .So i decided to put a couple front seats back in the rado and put a bit of tax on her . Gave her , her first wash whilst being in my possession . She dont scrub up bad in fairness . Proceeded down to the post office and handed over a pile of her majesties finest and received a tax disc . A further £20 in super and a good evening was had , well it put a smile on my face for a few hours .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79141[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79142[/ATTACH]

Work has also started on fitting or making them fit ,the pair of sparco's i picked up cheap . One of the neighbours has a couple scrap vectras outside so i pinched ( with permission ) a pair of front seat subframes .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79146[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79143[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79144[/ATTACH]

After some butchering with the grinder we are left with a useable pair of seat runners . need to invest in some side mounts now . Or i may try make some as we have a sheet of 3mm steel floating around .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79145[/ATTACH]

Thanks guys.

Well had the rado on the road about a week now but shes fighting me every step of the way . First was the realisation that 3 of the coilovers were leaking so a mad panic to get some temporary replacements . Then this morning i came out ready to set off the work the find a large damp patch under the car . Leaking water pump . The joys of trying to run these older cars . So spent most of the afternoon sorting out the car . While it was stripped so far i fitted a new crankshaft oil seal as it had been weeping a little .

Shiny new water pump ..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79211[/ATTACH]

Shes flying high now on standard springs / shocks ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79213[/ATTACH]

No points in the stance but its damn comfy .

On a lighter note we have 2 lodgers at the workshop . My business partner was struggling to find a home for a pair of kittens . So we got a pair of ship's cats .

The Workshop is right down on the canal side . So there are some pretty big rats floating about that keep stealing anything you leave out . These fluffy lil assassin's should deal with Roland when they get a bit bigger .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79212[/ATTACH]

Had a really close shave friday on my way to work . I had noticed that the car was a bit hesitant and lacking in power so i nursed it to work . As i was opening the gate I heard an unhealthy rattle from the engine . So switched it off and pushed her the rest of the way into the yard . The bottom pulley bolt had worked loose . Joy . So stripped it all down to find the timing had jumped 1 tooth . New bolt ( lots of threadlock ) New belt and a compression test later she is running again . Lucky escape .

I had already decided before i arrived that day that i was gonna to have a look at the state of the charger internals . I have only been getting 10-11psi with a 68mm pulley . It reaches 10psi by 3000rpm and just kinda holds fluctuating between 10--11 . So after splitting the charger i have found that the bearings and oil seals are all fine but the apex seals or some of them are stuck in their grooves . Time for a rebuild . By the time i am finished i will either have a fantastic car or be bankrupt .... havnt decided yet .

Had a quiet afternoon at work today . So i finalised the wiring for the emerald ecu . A good few hours sat with the soldering iron . Then a hour with the laptop and shes running ! I didnt have time to go any further with it today as hunger struck and it was getting late . If i get chance tomorrow I intend to finish wrapping the wiring loom and get everything put back together . Then i can run her up to temp and spend a bit more time on it .