staffs_til_i_die

Time to buy a Rado???

Hi,

I owned a 2.0 16v midnight blue Rado a few years ago. Before that I'd only owned a 1.8 Vauxhall Chavalier, and so I still remember the day I picked up the C very clearly :-)

I used to post on here back in 2007/2008 as the car was quite tempremental and I constantly needed help in fixing the weekly niggles that used to arise. I've had a few cars since then, and am currently driving an 08 plate Honda Civic Type R. I appreciate I will not get much love for that on here, but as a daily driver it's a beast - 30-40mph if you drive it sensibly, but open up the VTEC and it's a monster.

The Rado bug has bitten again however, and I've been looking at a few for sale. I'm just wondering which one to buy...

My 1st Corrado must have been on the back of a pick-up truck about 15 times in 2 years. I was a bit of a regular with one driver. The Civic has never missed a beat. Although I don't expect reliability like that, I don't want to buy another money pit that constantly breaks down. My original Rado was also very poor in terms of fuel efficiency (20 - 25 mpg) - no where near the Type R. At the time, a lot of people said that the VR was actually better in terms of fuel, particularly if you spank it a lot. Can anyone shed some light on this? Most of the C's these days seem to have 150,000 on the clock which will make a difference to the official figures. What are people getting in terms of mpg? How reliable are VRs with 150,000+? This time it's for the weekends, rather than commuting.

Cheers,

Chris

To be honest the better the budget the better the car you are going to get. I am not having a go at you mate but you are trying to compare a 6? year old car to a 20 plus year old car Are you for real?? There just seem's to be that many people who think Ohhh let's buy a 20 odd year old Corrado and just because it's a VW it will be a cracker it is this type of owner who has driven down the price of Corrado's.Look on Ebay germany you will pay alot more for one on there why because they have been properly looked after Simples.

The newest is almost 20 years old remember. If you wan't a car to just drive a few miles at the w.end and not have to spend any money on, don't buy a Corrado..... or any car over 10 years old tbh!

You need to spend money on it, but they don't cost a great deal for most things. Preventative maintenance is the key. Occasionally replace the odd sensor, seal/gasket, service regularly and such like, and it'll be pretty reliable. Fuel economy, well if its just for the weekend, surely it isn't really an issue?

If driven like your Nan, high thirties on a run is achievable. Mixed driving though will probably return mid 20s. Drive it like you stole it, and you'll be in the mid teens! If you buy a car as you've said with 150k+, just make sure its been looked after. Theres one just come up on here with extras that seems insanely cheap for everything included! They will go on for well over 200k if looked after and serviced regularly though.

I take your point. Obviously I don't expect an older car to match a newer one. I just had such a love/hate relationship with my 1st Rado. It used to break down all the time. I did a road trip to Cornwall in it for a mate's stag do and it melted the distributor! But then I'd walk outside and see it on the drive and everything would be forgiven...

I passed a slammed VR on the M6 the other day and thought "that car looks twice as good as mine at half the speed".

I'm just debating which option to go for:

1. Standard VR with high mileage

2. High mileage VR with replacement engine

3. Valver

4. g60

Option 2 may be good, but maybe it's not a proper C. Can't decide.

Oh dear don't take this the wrong way but you would struggle to keep up with mine in your Type R Like I said in my original post the more you have to spend the better you are going to get what you are talking about well you just seem like the rest. Stick your money into your R to try and keep up.

Nowadays I really would advise against most people buying a Corrado if they just want something for a bit of fun and as a daily driver. They can be daily drivers of course. But increasingly they are enthusiasts cars that take effort to run and quite often effort to just find replacement parts. No other car has given me as much enjoyment as my Corrado but if it was to be my only car I certainly wouldn't be selling something relatively modern to buy one.

But if you're looking for something that you're prepared to spend time and money just keeping it running and in good order and if you're looking for something that is an event every time you get into it or look at it, then certainly buy a Corrado. It has character in spades - something most modern cars don't. But they also get grumpy and like to tell you when they are having a bad day.

Thanks for the advice. My original 1995 C had some grumpy days in 2007 when it was 12 years old. By now it will no doubt have serious mental health issues. So as long as I buy a complete new tool box, a new jack and a shed full of Prozac to feed it, I should be fine...

What are people getting in terms of mpg? How reliable are VRs with 150,000+? This time it's for the weekends, rather than commuting.

At a guess I get somewhere between 25mpg to 30mpg. Mine has 143k on it and has so far proved very reliable over the last 2.5 years (it has a lot of history of mechanical work though, but does still have a few niggles). Buy the best you can and buy on condition and history of maintenance rather than just low mileage. For example a low mileage car with little work having been done will still have a lot of potential issues waiting to happen wheras a higher mileage car which has had items replaced might be a better starting point. Beware of missing or damaged trim as many parts are obsolete now while mechanical parts can generally be found.

For rarity seek out a G60 but be aware that getting a charger rebuild is becoming increasingly hard as very few companies do it. The 8v/16v are reliable daily drivers but as you will be using it at weekends only then I personally think either a G60 or VR6. I went for a VR6.

Buying one for weekend fun won't be as harsh on you as the daily. Because you can work on it without the worry of needing it back on the road. Mine is in bits most winters now getting round the jobs that need doing on a 20 yr old car, then come summer..... boom time for fun :)

I think if you spend a bit more you can get a really nice, well looked after VR6. Mine has never left me stranded (touch wood) and has been very reliable (although that's likely to change now!). On a (very) long run I managed 35mpg but 25-30avg.

I think if you spend a bit more you can get a really nice, well looked after VR6. Mine has never left me stranded (touch wood) and has been very reliable (although that's likely to change now!). On a (very) long run I managed 35mpg but 25-30avg.

Think that mpg will change now too....

Feather feet ;)

I used my vr6 for work the other day and it returned 32.9mpg on a 23 mile trip, I saw 39 mpg a few years ago out of a previous vr in the past, but like everyone has said as an everyday car they are so old now that I can imagine running it daily would be a pain. For example the coolant pipes on most of the corrados these days will be very old and brittle, I took mine for a good blast the other day and thought one of the hoses had gone but it turned to be a faulty cap on the expansion bottle.

I'd look for one with extensive history, nice if the engines been rebuilt and little things like samco hoses as I sure wouldn't want to say travel to France in mine as I just know one of the hoses would probably let go, (samcos are next in my list).

£3-4000 for a minter and £1000-1500 for one that needs work I reckon.

Spend a bit more and go for a turbo, I have a 16vT and love it, I use it for my weekend car, although I only achieve about 23mpg, but who cares, when I get that grin factor :)

The 16vT conversion will be hard to find, but there is a 20vT in the forsale add, looks like a good price as well and you will get the benefit of a more mordern engine

hi guys, just have to say on the points that have arisen. I've had a few vr, and at present own a 200k storm, completely original and it is my daily driver. I also agree that it is comfortable fast enough and returns me 33 every day. ive had no problems at all. but do have 20 stamps in the book, and have always replaced anything that needs it. do I value it, yes I do, do I love it,yes I do.

but today have had a lightswitch go and agree again 20 years means that it is hard to get some bits.