DPS

Not the first post I wanted to make...

Hi All, I have spent a week building up to this post, I don't think I'm asking for advice, I guess i just want to vent where like-minded people may understand...

I'm sorry for the really long post.

In 1994 I was just 14, I was a girl who loved cars, my first boyfriends mate had a VW Scirocco, he pointed out the VW Corrado he hoped to upgrade to...I fell in love, for 20 years I have wanted one, finally noticing decent ones becoming rarer, I decided 2014 was the year I would buy one.

After numerous searches, I spotted a red VR6 Automatic, in beautiful condition, less than 72k miles on the clock, full leather interior, everything in working order. I swapped my faithful Toyota and drove away the happiest I've been in a long time. My Brother is an experienced mechanic and huge VW enthusiast so together we planned a transmission change in the summer...

...just one month after I bought the car I was driving around a roundabout and the engine cut out (I suspect a fuel or immobilizer issue) as she slowly rolled to halt the Audi S4 behind me inserted itself up her arse.

Despite there being very little (visible) damage my worst fears were confirmed today, the insurance company deem her uneconomical to repair. I've cried for hours, there is no question I wont pay the £200 "scrap" value they place on her. I will get the repair re-estimated by the same company who has assured me that insurance quotes and private quotes are very differently priced, due to the use of genuine parts and full replacement regardless of whether they are needed or not. Worst case - I can break her and make some money on her.

I have written a detailed email, proving how much the car cost me (£2,600), current Auto-trader listings, the link to How-many-left (just 47 licensed) in the hope they review their first offer of the trade value (£2040) and give me at least the retail value (£2,500).

Sorry again for long post, having lurked for a couple of years on and off, I had hoped for a much happier one...I'm still a Corrado owner, and having had a taste, I always will be :cool:

I'm desperately hoping another Corrado doesn't receive its wings...

Welcome to the forum - and indeed, a sad story to open with! Not many Corrado's with that kind of mileage any more, and even though the automatics are not as desirable generally speaking, they're certainly a rare breed too.

I hope you get a positive outcome regardless of what you do and keep us updated!

Thank you :-) If it's not her, I will have another in the near future, nothing compares to it!

Clinging onto positivity ;-)

If it is to be written off can you not buy it and use it to build another?

Not an ideal start, sorry to read things like this...

Sorry to hear that - your right to refuse the offer though and I'd push them as VR's especially are going up in value now, the low mileage is on your side and if it was a good one then I think you should be looking at £3,300-3,600.

Some pics of the damage would be good if you can - I can tell you if I think it's worth repairing and rough break down of costs.

Best of luck :-)

They have placed a £200 scrap value on her, her interior is worth more than that. I only took one photo of the damage[ATTACH=CONFIG]78077[/ATTACH]

My uneducated guess is that there is a small dent in the boot lid above the VW badge, the bumper needs filling/spraying and the exhaust needs to be sorted. There is the starting issue. The car starts perfectly then cuts straight out. With such low mileage she was a perfect transmission change candidate :-(

Thank you for the replies, as luck would have it two days before the accident I spent 5 hours removing and spraying the rear badges and cleaning every inch of her...

When I look at that photo I'm horrified they would write her off. I guess for them, money is all that matters. You should have seen the Audi ;-)

I honestly think that I'd have to pay at least double to get another with low mileage as it would more than likely be a manual.

Ok, that doesn't look too bad at all... make sure you get the car back if they write it off!

It looks like it was hit fairly squarly and the bumpers done it's job, the rear panel is pushed in but a decent (proper) body shop will be able to pull that out to repair. You need a new bumper and those parking sensors fitted if you want to keep them. Exhaust back box looks like it probably needs replacing too.

Does the boot open and close ok or do you have to slam it? Lift up the carpet in the boot - is the paint cracked? The lights and number plate panel look fine.

I'd keep an eye out for a second hand rear bumper and backbox to start with and maybe drive it to a couple of places if you can and get some quotes to repair with you supplying the parts.

Whereabouts are you? there is a red bumper for sale on here for £20!

Edited by Supercharged

Just a kiss, easily fixable by the look of it

Plenty here have rear bumpers (personally I'd source a late bumper in the correct colour). Same with the tailgate if its damaged too?

The rear panel should pull back or worse case chop out and weld in a section from another car

I know of a decent bodyshop in Luton who can repair her,

Let me know if you want any more details

Steve

When I look at that photo I'm horrified they would write her off. I guess for them, money is all that matters. You should have seen the Audi ;-)

I honestly think that I'd have to pay at least double to get another with low mileage as it would more than likely be a manual.

I'm surprised actually they are trying to write off as you'd repair that for less than £2k using new parts - as the accident wasn't your fault they should have a duty to repair it, did you actually get quotes or did an assessor just come and look at it?

Values are all over the place, so many poor cars are going for peanuts becuase of the high cost of getting them to a good standard but at the other end of the scale I know of 3 Corrado VR6's that have sold this year for around £8,000.

Sorry to here of your woes . It does not look like a lot of damage to me ?.Why on earth would they not pay out on that ? . If the chassis was twisted and the rear end in a really bad way i could see the ins company not wanting to pay out , but on a small dent and bumper repair ? , not really a big deal to them surely . I hope you get this sorted .

Rob

£8,000 What were they, 30,000 mile original gold plated!!!

I'm surprised actually they are trying to write off as you'd repair that for less than £2k using new parts - as the accident wasn't your fault they should have a duty to repair it, did you actually get quotes or did an assessor just come and look at it?

Values are all over the place, so many poor cars are going for peanuts becuase of the high cost of getting them to a good standard but at the other end of the scale I know of 3 Corrado VR6's that have sold this year for around £8,000.

Ok, that doesn't look too bad at all... make sure you get the car back if they write it off!

It looks like it was hit fairly squarly and the bumpers done it's job, the rear panel is pushed in but a decent (proper) body shop will be able to pull that out to repair. You need a new bumper and those parking sensors fitted if you want to keep them. Exhaust back box looks like it probably needs replacing too.

Does the boot open and close ok or do you have to slam it? Lift up the carpet in the boot - is the paint cracked?

I'd keep an eye out for a second hand rear bumper and backbox to start with and maybe drive it to a couple of places if you can and get some quotes to repair with you supplying the parts.

Whereabouts are you? there is a red bumper for sale on here for £20!

I will definitely buy her back ;-) I'm in bedfordshire, I'll certainly source a new bumper, this forum will no doubt be a great help! I'm not too bothered about keeping the sensors, I'm not keen on the way they look and I find they pick up the curbs due to the car being lower to the ground than your average car. The boot opened and shut, the lock felt a little buckled but I unlocked and re-locked it a couple of times. Didn't get chance to look under the carpet. I'm going to visit her on Saturday to discuss a new estimate, so I'll take a look then. I have requested the engineers report though I've yet to receive it.

It's good to know she is worth fighting for :-)

£8,000 What were they, 30,000 mile original gold plated!!!

2 were under 30k and the other one was Chris Gaskills concourse winning Storm on 45k.

Well there you go then,

the thing I love about the Corrado is that you don't have to pay **** loads of money to own a classic car, let's hope it stays that way

2 were under 30k and the other one was Chris Gaskills concourse winning Storm on 45k.

I will definitely buy her back ;-) I'm in bedfordshire, I'll certainly source a new bumper, this forum will no doubt be a great help! I'm not too bothered about keeping the sensors, I'm not keen on the way they look and I find they pick up the curbs due to the car being lower to the ground than your average car. The boot opened and shut, the lock felt a little buckled but I unlocked and re-locked it a couple of times. Didn't get chance to look under the carpet. I'm going to visit her on Saturday to discuss a new estimate, so I'll take a look then. I have requested the engineers report though I've yet to receive it.

It's good to know she is worth fighting for :-)

Cool, buy that £20 bumper if you can and get hold of a back box and get that fixed first so it's driveable. Swap the bumper and then get some quotes - I'd say you'd be looking at £500 in labour and materials for a good job which would be prep and spray the bumper, pull and paint the rear panel - obviously make it clear that you'll pay cash and not need a hire car etc.

Cool, buy that £20 bumper if you can and get hold of a back box and get that fixed first so it's driveable. Swap the bumper and then get some quotes - I'd say you'd be looking at £500 in labour and materials for a good job which would be prep and spray the bumper, pull and paint the rear panel - obviously make it clear that you'll pay cash and not need a hire car etc.

I'll get on it first thing, you have been so helpful, thank you. I hope tomorrow brings me some good news, either way I'll bring her home :-)

Car is definitely savable, personally I reckon the insurance has seen a 20 year old car and written it off without realising the true value.

I don't think you should settle for anything under 2.5k, when they make you an offer use this forum and autotrader etc to prove that you can't get a car in simular spec to yours for less, they should up their offer... never except the first offer.

I think this could work in your favour, like has been said above it can probably be fixed for £500, that should leave a nice tidy sum for your gearbox conversion plans.

Good luck.

Rog.

Can you not just scrap the insurance claim? Insurance is a waste of time and money, I only pay it out of necessity, nothing else. You are not obliged to claim, but maybe beause the other car is involved you do.

This forum is a brilliant place and you'll pic up the parts soon enough. I smacked mine headfirst into a tree years ago, some new panels, bonnet nd cross member and she's still going strong. What's a wee bent back panel anyway?

Fight it

pyrebene.jpg

This was mine when it was hit,mine wasn't wrote off !

Cars of this age,you need agreed value,I did/have and it saved mine

I believe you are right Roger, they see the age, look in a book, pick the lowest price and hope people will accept it. They also used an average milage estimate too, not the actual mileage.

Jamie, the other driver accepted liability so it's their insurer who will be paying out.

Dragon Green, that damage looks far nastier than mine. I am certainly going to review my insurance policy once this is over. I'm so glad yours was saved. Edit - I've just looked though your post, your car is such a stunner!

I was briefly considering buying an old scirocco when I first feared they may write her off (I sound utterly reckless) but now reality has hit me hard, I just can't give up on this girl.

Edited by DPS