Jamie

6 Branch stainless manifolds

Anyone had their cylinders bored out to 3 litres , what gains would you expect bhp?

I'm at 83mm which I think give 2931 - to be honest the pots are pretty thin, I dont think I'd go too big, possibly why VW made a whole new block for the R32... I've gone for 11:1 high compression pistons too - I still think the power gains will be negligable thou, my block was in really good condition but whilst it was in bits it seemed false economy not to do everything, I'm an OE man so I didn't fancy forced induction, but do like performance goodies ;) ... its still yet to be put back in the car.

Think I'm going to treat my car next year to a complete rebuild with 3 litre bores and pistons to match , will put in some in 268 cams along side the existing Schrick, what do you think that will achieve 220 - 230 bhp perhaps? Maybe 2931 is what Vince refers to as his 3.0 (rounded off)cure to scored/OVULATED cylinders. Mine drinks approx 1 litre every 1000 miles, probably would be ok for another few years even more but I would like to see how she pulls with new larger internals.

3 litres or close is about as far as you can go given the tight tolerances of the block and head - would be interesting allright to see what can be achieved, although you will find plenty of sample figures/graphs for cars with similar mods in the archives on here, VR6OC and on Vortex in the US. Plenty have been down this road before with low cost vs. grins ratio returns, hence the focus now being on charging.

Think I'm going to treat my car next year to a complete rebuild with 3 litre bores and pistons to match , will put in some in 268 cams along side the existing Schrick, what do you think that will achieve 220 - 230 bhp perhaps? Maybe 2931 is what Vince refers to as his 3.0 (rounded off)cure to scored/OVULATED cylinders. Mine drinks approx 1 litre every 1000 miles, probably would be ok for another few years even more but I would like to see how she pulls with new larger internals.

I still went with the Shimmel 263 cams alongside the VGI - Vince spoke very highly of the SP263's, - but yes thats why I had my block bored, it wasn't bad but there had just started to be a slight score at the top of two of the pots.

Just reading over at VR6OC - they rate the SP263 in every application, NA, super and turbocharged. apparently the NA cars saw 20+bhp and an impressive torque gain after a group buy they did.

Post 470

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?58542-Redbourbons-vr6-With-extra-grunt-)/page47

Spec (post 481)

Originally Posted by redborbet

New chains

Fresh fully rebuilt head

Mk4 head gasket

Schrick 268 cams

Schrick manifold

Big bore throttle

Bmc filter

Techtonics 2'1/2 system

Remap

3.68 final drive

One of my personal favourite cars

My VR went for a head rebuild, chains & refresh at Stealth - during which i had SP263's dropped in, BMC air filter & a Vince re-map amongst other things

I ended up with just shy of 210 horses with almost the same torque IIRC. I have since had a 2.5" Longlife SS with hi-flow CAT fitted & would guess a new map would be approaching the 215 - 220 mark

I think the best part about all the work was the map Vince put on it, the power delivery is far & away better than the factory map.

i will dig out my power curve output & try to post it as an example

Good results there Spen, I also see you own a N reg Magic Black, I imagine our chassis numbers are pretty close. I've been told by my previous owner mine is supposingly running those figures, must admit though I reckon I will get her up to 230 bhp which will be the same as Mk7 GTI 7 P/P, got say though the golf would smash the Corrado at the moment and feels a lot stronger then 230 bhp, so would like to get the Rado up to those figures. Golf feels more like 270-80 BHP Im starting wonder If the first owner of the Golf had her tuned , purchased from BMW Sytner so have never chatted with the previous owner.

Edited by Keyo

Good results there Spen, I also see you own a N reg Magic Black, I imagine our chassis numbers are pretty close. I've been told by my previous owner mine is supposingly running those figures, must admit though I reckon I will get her up to 230 bhp which will be the same as Mk7 GTI 7 P/P, got say though the golf would smash the Corrado at the moment and feels a lot stronger then 230 bhp, so would like to get the Rado up to those figures. Golf feels more like 270-80 BHP Im starting wonder If the first owner of the Golf had her tuned , purchased from BMW Sytner so have never chatted with the previous owner.

Yeah mine was in dire need of a head refurb according to Vince, it was more or less a barn/driveway find, so was in a poor state. Vince said one of the best he'd seen so going by that forced induction for bigger figures

Yeah mine was in dire need of a head refurb according to Vince, it was more or less a barn/driveway find, so was in a poor state. Vince said one of the best he'd seen so going by that forced induction for bigger figures

Do you have a stock airbox ? That is very impressive figures and a lot of power for a light car compared to todays heavy lumps.

Cheers dox

You will struggle to get more than 230bhp out of a nasp vr that's for sure

Never wanted a six branch tbh there not all that!! Plus vw did a good job on the standard mani

I'm running 310bhp now with a charger, if you want good usable power then a charger is where its at!

Iv out run m5 twin turbos on the country roads and had good blasts with loads of stuff

Kept up with a mates rs4 v8 manual just fine and his rs3

What is the torque steer like chap with 310 ? I would be happy if I get a 220/230 BHP read out that's plenty for me as I like to rev out a car as much as I can hence Im a big VR fan also flat sixes, had a S550 GT Mustang that I had to sell but that back end was like butter, got her her up 480 BHP with a Borla sport and tune but was lethal on UK greasy roads, car was launching out from the back pulling half donuts without my permission, cant say it didn't put a smile on my face though although he was in someways not as usable as a VR.

Edited by Keyo

I probably could of just lobbed some 263's in my engine and knowing my luck get more than my fully tweeked and rebuilt one will ever roll! LOL!