Roger Chatfield

What's wrong with my sunroof

Evening all,

I've known since I got my Storm that there was a problem with the sunroof so today I built up enough courage to give it a go.

Now it tilts fine however when I try to open it problems start.

If press the open button the roof panel moves back about 5mm and then stops, if I press the button again it does the same, moves another 5mm and stops, I can keep pushing the button and get the roof open but in 5mm step ( I've only opened it a third), the same happens when I close it but in reverse, it will close but in 5mm steps.

Anyone have any clue what's wrong?

Rog.

New motor needed. Mine was doing the exact same thing! Get a motor off a breaker, and I reckon you'll be back in business :)

Sounds similar to the problem mine had too,I stripped mine all out only to find it was just the motor at fault. I replaced it with a mk3 golf motor which looks a little different but works fine & much easier to get hold of.

yeah no need to take head lining out, just take off light cover panel and its a forward enough swap, mine turned out not to be the motor and after much frustration with it, I thought, who needs a sunroof?

As has been said Rog, dead easy - 10-15 minute job tops, and the only tool you need to accomplish it is the screwdriver in the factory toolkit :)

Had exactly the same problem - tried 3 motors and two switch panels before I gave up and ended up swapping the cassette for a MKIII Golf one. Been fine ever since.

/\

Yep. Changing the motor is band aiding the problem. The motor is struggling because the plastic feet of the 'water plate guides' (VW terminology) are binding in the cassette channels.

A more permanent cure is strip it right down, replace the water plate guides and reassemble with silicon sliding mechanism grease......or stick a MK3 one in.

All Passat and & Corrado roofs go the same way. The Golf doesn't do it as much for some reason.