ross k

rumbling after putting new wheels on bad tyres ?

hi guys after some advice i got a new set of wheels they are 16x9 borbet ts i put two part worn 215/40/16 toyo proxie t1s tyres on them.When i put them on the car they instantly started rumbling sort of how a wheel bearing sounds so i took them of and put my old wheels on and the noise went away i have since drove over 1000 miles on holiday on the old wheels with no noises the wheels are definatlly balanced could the noise be due to bad tyres? any suggestions welcome thanks ross

hi guys after some advice i got a new set of wheels they are 16x9 borbet ts i put two part worn 215/40/16 toyo proxie t1s tyres on them.When i put them on the car they instantly started rumbling sort of how a wheel bearing sounds so i took them of and put my old wheels on and the noise went away i have since drove over 1000 miles on holiday on the old wheels with no noises the wheels are definatlly balanced could the noise be due to bad tyres? any suggestions welcome thanks ross

Possibly bad tyre's though it could have something to do with the offset of the wheel's what et are they?

visually the tyres look good their et15 anything i should be looking out for

They are ET15?? are you using adapter's? or do they bolt straight on? Not that it make's any difference ET15 is too low for a Corrado you ideally want around ET35-45 plenty have made similar mistake's regarding wheels. I would imagine it is this that is causing you issue's though I'm not 100%

It's worth checking the wheel bearings as one of mine decided to give up at the exact time that I changed my front tyres. It put me off the scent a bit :)

Part worns are never really a good idea on different cars due to camber wear - also why it's not ideal to swap tyres from front to back.

T1S's are also the worst tyres I've ever experienced, scary lack of grip in the wet!!

T1S's are also the worst tyres I've ever experienced, scary lack of grip in the wet!!

I know this isn't really a tyre thread as such, but I found that T1-S were nothing short of amazing, dry or wet! They did take a bit of running in and the feedback was a little worrying at times due to the relatively soft sidewall, but no problem with grip. Assuming of course that the tyre is the correct size for the wheel and the pressures are correct.

As far as I'm aware, they haven't been in manufacture for years as it was replaced by the T1-R. So the OP could have really old tyres on.

cheers for the advice guys i thought the size would be alright seen various people running borbet a's of the same spec on a 16v they are 4x100 so no adapters. i thought toyo proxies were good but ive never driven on them im thinking these tyres are a bit old .Would you guys recommend just changing the tyres or changing the wheels they are staggered so only got the 9's on the rear and they dont rub anywhere but run pretty close to the trailing arm advice would be appreciated thanks ross

Edited by ross k

i immediately thought wheel bearing vr6 south but since i have done 1100 odd miles since on my old wheels i would have thought i would have been able to hear it with the old wheels by now thanks ross

the dot code on the tyre is 7d34804 does think mean its made on the 48th week of 2004 making them 10 years old that will teach me to by part worns is this likely to be making the noise

Yes it does they're old tyres. You'll probably find that the tyre is 'stepped' along one edge of the tyre and this is causing the noise. Some people often confuse this with a wheel bearing failure.

When your tyre is cupped it sounds like a wheel bearing, you could try mounting the tyres on the opposite wheels if they are cupped on the inner edges. But I'd just get some new tyres and be done with it.