Goldie

Engine cutting out after start up

I pulled them one by one and each one affected the running so assume them to be ok..

I can't help but feel the noice when i first started it was significant. It was a thud/crack noise, I've no idea what though..

Do you suspect the chains have jumped the sprockets?

After my own "nightmare" with starting problems (though always did start, and was especially cumbersome when hot) and after changing out several more expensive parts this is the thing I would check first:

Didn't have total failure of start myselfe - but tried and changed out quite a few parts before I found the culprit on my Corrado.

I had intermittent starting issues with the C from the day I got it (the guy selling was honest about it) - but especially when it was warm it was a hard car to start.

Turned out it was the "non-return" valve in the fuel pump that's not doing it's job - actually VW issued a "fix" for this problem - which is basically a hose with an inline non-return valve builtin, but sadly discontinued.

I ficed mine with a non-return valve from e-bay and some extra fuel hose (so I didn't have to cut the original hose) - took of the original hose from the feed line, and inserted the non-return valve in between the pump and the original fuel hose.

Never had any starting issued after this

Image of fic on my car:

13120005_zps0d22e456.jpg

the original fix from VW looked like this:

20130615_112518_zps02517e5c.jpg

This was a "known" fault of some of the VR6 fuel pumps,,,,,,ie the issue of the "fix" from VW :)

I did see the above thread about the fuel line..

Seems to much of a coincidence that there is an ISV vac line issue (i can't even get it to start with the old one) but can with the spare..

IF its jumped a tooth stand by for a tasty breaking thread..

Surely given the amount of work gone into the car, Michael it would make more financial sense to fix the engine if that's really what happened. But my fingers are crossed that's not the case :( Has your motor had the chains, etc done before?

Chains were done not too many miles ago so that shouldn't be an issue. The noise you describe on the first start up sounds like when the damper shattered on start up previously and the issues sound similar. Is the replacement damper you tried new and in perfect working order.

To the best of my knowledge the damper is ok, although it is a second hand part, so I can't guarantee it.

Intention is that easypops is going to come round tonight with fresh eyes, vagcom and a few spares.

Am on way to Preston now.

Michael, have you had all the isv pipes off and checked for foam? Also worth checking the throttle pipe for splits underneath. Blue temp sensor is another possibility.

When mine was rough , I found a crack underneath the throttle body hose , where it joins air filter .

Rob

Sorted..

And it was the damper..

Sequence of events, changed original ISV and damper for a second set no change. Easypops (Martin) came round with another, no change, vagcom confirmed we were barking up the right tree. Energised each ISV, original one was fine , other 2 suspect. So i have original ISV and the third damper on.

Shame to have missed the show today but relieved all is well..

Massive thank you to Martin for coming round and applying logic to the problem, very much appreciated..

Just to add the damper was not badly broken, the seam was slightly suspect but it hadn't exploded as such so don't just rely on a quick visual to assume its had it..

Sorted..

And it was the damper..

Sequence of events, changed original ISV and damper for a second set no change. Easypops (Martin) came round with another, no change, vagcom confirmed we were barking up the right tree. Energised each ISV, original one was fine , other 2 suspect. So i have original ISV and the third damper on.

Shame to have missed the show today but relieved all is well..

Massive thank you to Martin for coming round and applying logic to the problem, very much appreciated..

My pleasure mate, it was great to see such a really nice Corrado, and on those wheels :notworthy: