Roger Chatfield

Ignition switch removal... A tale of success and failure

Evening chums, well after spending a whole day removing and repairing and replacing my spoiler a now have another problem... It looks like 'Stormy' is not happy unless something is broken....lol

Anyway, my latest problem...... My stereo doesn't switch off, normally it powers down when I remove the ignition key but now it's just staying on... I have to turn it off manually.

So, how do I remove the ignition switch please?? On other cars I've owned the switch has been held in with tamper proof screws and needed drilling out.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

its actually a horrible job. You need to use a jewellers screwdriver but with a slight bend in it. There is a retaining screw in the column and you can only access this from under the wheel. Plus you can only turn the screw about 1/8th of a turn at a time.

Alternatively, you can remove the lower steering cowl, tap off the shear bolts (tricky in itself!) and then drop the steering column. Yo can then easily get to the switch retaining screw. Either way its tricky, unfortunately.

Rog, pretty sure I changed it, so cable tied it instead of refitting the horrible screw. You're a lucky man!

I've got mine to do, when i get motivated to do it.

With my switch every now and then the key will not go in it and when it does it wont turn. Also it is very easy to turn the key when the car is running.

i believe its best to buy genuine VAG stealer part? daft question time, how does your original car ignition key fit the new switch?

I've got mine to do, when i get motivated to do it.

With my switch every now and then the key will not go in it and when it does it wont turn. Also it is very easy to turn the key when the car is running.

i believe its best to buy genuine VAG stealer part? daft question time, how does your original car ignition key fit the new switch?

Have you got a spare key to try? I had problems like that and used the spare key that looked like it hadn't been used and not had a problem since that.

Jim, when i got he car there was only one key, i have a key cut from the original as a spare. I think i might try this key to see if this one gets stuck. But having said that its only be going to be the same profile as the older key.So might not make a difference?

Like i have mentioned its not every time that it gets stuck.

If you cut keys from existing keys (not from the car's code) then they will always be a sloppier fit in the barrel. That said, how hard it is to turn is determined by the switch, not the barrel - so you may want to change it anyway!

If you don't mind a little extra effort, you can reverse-engineer the code and have a new key cut to spec rather than the old key. Remove one door handle, then take the striker arm, spring and small rotation-stop plate off the back of the barrel. You'll then be able to insert your key and turn the barrel 90º to remove it from the handle. If you then pull out the wafers from the barrel with a pair of pliers (one at a time, and mind the tiny springs!) you'll be able to read a number 1-5 stamped into each wafer. Write this code down and give it to a competent locksmith and you'll get a key that's to the original spec...if this operates your ignition OK then happy days! If not you should probably invest in a new barrel as well as the switch - which unfortunately means retumbling the locks on both doors, the boot and the glovebox to match your new key, but it will definitely sort it for good.

I was fortunate enough to find a crashed Corrado with a fixed steering column in a scrapyard last year - so when my ignition switch went faulty I was able to put my new one into the fixed column while it was out of the car and then swap the two over. I got a cheap crosshead screwdriver and heated it to cherry-red with a blowtorch before putting a 90º bend in the end with a pair of vice grips: now it's useless for anything else but it's dead good at ignition switches! :lol: You have to drill a small hole in the steering lock assembly to be able to remove the lock barrel (it exposes a spring-loaded lever which you depress while turning the key and pulling) - instructions are on page 48.5 of the Bentley manual.

Stone

So today was interesting...

First off, I was lucky, Andy has replaced the ignition switch before so it was cable tied in and I didn't have the hassle of undoing the 'screw from hell'...lol

The switch was on the bench and disassembled in under 10 mins... result..

IMG_4575_zps3a722a9d.jpg

Problem located, the plastic rod in the middle of the switch that holds the radio power contacts is very worn.

IMG_4576_zps6cadbdff.jpg

And after a bit of 'poking' is now broken... bugger...lol

IMG_4577_zps21074fec.jpg

So, not being one to give up and also not wanting to buy a new switch I decided to 'make' a replacement rod using the earth conductor of a bit of 6mm cable Ive got kicking about the garage.

IMG_4578_zpsc5a51836.jpg

Little bit of fine wire and some solder later and its starting to take shape.

IMG_4579_zps2584e89c.jpg

The 'workstation'...lol

IMG_4580_zps2e6b428f.jpg

More solder, a fair but of filing and a few hours later.... taa daa.. a new center rod... result.

IMG_4581_zps5f5efb2e.jpg

And that's when my luck ran out... whilst reassembling the switch I managed to drop it and lost two of the small springs... bugger bugger bugger... cue lots and lots of swearing and general unhappiness...grrrr

Two mins and £5.97 later and I now have a new switch ordered on eBay.

And that folks, is how I spent my friday...

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

I lol'd at your misfortune, sorry mate! :o

Hope.the ebay switch proves to be reliable Rog, heard a few stories of them being defective on receipt with the cheap copies......

I lol'd at your misfortune, sorry mate! :o

Hope.the ebay switch proves to be reliable Rog, heard a few stories of them being defective on receipt with the cheap copies......

I'll give it a good 'metering' before I fit it mate, I know the pin out like the back of my hand now...lol

BTW its surprisingly easy to hot wire a raddo, I speak from experience...lol

Rog.

I always keep a hot-wiring cable in the tool kit - 4 terminals to get it going but 5 if you also want the radio on ;)

You still have to have the key in the ignition to disable the steering lock - please don't forget as it's bloody dangerous having it snap on as you back out of a parking space! (ask me how I know...) Plus on later models the immobiliser coil has to read the key in the ignition to permit use beyond 2 seconds - so nobody's going to run off with your car without some serious effort still...

Stone

Hey guys I recently did this in the week.

I thought I would share my success as everyone bends those tiny screw drivers to undo the retaining screw I came into a bit of luck.

In a kitchen draw I had a plastic handled set of these from a cracker so so the handles bent,I could not believe it :-)

I know it's not relevant but I really wanted to share this :-)

Roger that is quality!

Shame about the springs but thats a cool bit of electrical engineering !! :cool::bonk: