Roger Chatfield

Fuel pump prime

Afternoon chums,

I've got a bit of a starting problem with 'Stormy'

Sometime it takes ages to start, I'm cranking it over for about 10 secs and then it'll splutter into life. I've thinking that maybe it's a fuel problem.

I've noticed that when I turn the ignition the pump only runs for less than a second, now on my old honda's it used to run for at least a few seconds so is my VR normal? how long should the pump run for??

Many thanks

Rog.

My VR only primes for like half a second / a second and no more than that. And starts right away so.. Its not that which is the issue.

This sounds exactly like the problem i have , every now and again Rog . Mine will fire straight away but struggles to pick up the revs . If i turn off the ignition and try again it fires as normal . Fuel wise , i have a new regulator , the pump has been changed , fuel filter is new and the pressure has been tested . The injectors must be ok too as i have no loss of performance at any speed .

when you say pick up the revs?

i don't drive mine daily and from cold i often start it up, the rev needle will bounce about for a couple of seconds until it settles at normal idling rev....i just put it down to lack of use, and wasn't worried about it

when you say pick up the revs?

i don't drive mine daily and from cold i often start it up, the rev needle will bounce about for a couple of seconds until it settles at normal idling rev....i just put it down to lack of use, and wasn't worried about it

Sorry to jump in here Rog , Loepan , when i say picking up the revs , the only way to decribe it is , its like you have run the car out of fuel , then put some in so its spluttery until the fuel is in full flow .

Rog , i tried to make a video of mine this evening , to see if its like your problem , but in typical rado style it started fine lol

Try replacing the fuel pressure regulator on the front of the injector rail. That did it on mine.

Good call Fender

You could try and replace it , as i have . But at £80.00 iirc its not a cheap fix if it does not work , as in my case . Not that im saying its not the fault on Rog's car though .

Part#078133534C fuel pressure regulator costs €50.98 for a Bosch one here. I paid around that for a VAG one.

That's a good price , I had exhausted my efforts to sort my car out and a garage fitted mine , looks like they bunged an extra £30 on top , cheeky !!

if you can get it properly scanned on VCDS/vagcom then do, this sounds more to me like a temperature sender or even a crank/cam sensor type issue, but the general rule of change the cheapest stuff first also applies, I'd be looking at a new fuel pump relay and water temp sensors before spending on anything else, or even pulling the injectors and getting the spray patterns checked, the VR type pump generally makes very nasty noises well before it drops performance.

Little update,

I've modified a fuel pump relay with a push button to run the pump manually, this way I can extend the prime time if I get trouble starting.

IMG_4574_zpsb22780e1.jpg

So I tested it and it started fine, however I did notice a petrol smell, on investigating I found a leak at the pump outlet, I guess this may be letting air in when the car is stood and this could be my starting problem... fingers crossed.

Rog.

Wait till you see his attempt at fixing the ignition switch :thumbleft: Good try Rog 9/10 for effort mate.

Its done proper mate, took the relay to pieces and soldered a wire onto the coil contact, even drilled a hole in the cover for the wire to exit.

Rog.

Me too Rog, don't go taking your days frustration out on me now! :nono:

:silent:

:lol: