Roger Chatfield

Low rpm mis fire and poor starting

Morning chums,

'Stormy' has developed a low rpm mis-fire, if I push the throttle from low rpm's (about 1200) it misses a couple of beats then picks up as normal, its worse under load like engine braking and then back on the power but I've noticed it from idle as well with no load.

Anyone have any idea's??

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

You had your leads off recently? I had a similar issue, changed the coilpack and it was still there, turned out the back middle lead wasn't seated on the plug correctly

as easypops mentions first port of call is checking your ignition leads are connected at both end, check coilpack for any cracks or sign of wear & possibly vagcom it to rule out if the cam sensor is reporting any codes

my gf's storm showed similar signs & actions & it turned out to be an intermittent coilpack & dodgy cam sensor

Since my engine rebuild job I have been experiencing similar. Took it back to Graham to get checked out and he traced the problem to an injector starting to play up.. not sure if just dirty and needing a clean, or whatever, but he's just fitted a set of refurbished injectors and says it's cured now :) So may be worth looking into.

Mine was doing this last year Rog . My leads were shot and not connecting properly , I would drive off with kangerooing down the road .

A set of dubpower leads are pretty cheap so a sensible starting point, no doubt about it, even if only to rule out ignition leads as the cause :)

Been out in it a few times today and it's been fine, no misfires at all... Strange...

Although it was difficult to start after being left for two hours this evening.. Took about 10 secs

What's going on folks?

Rog.

I would think about testing from the ecu down to the plugs . Then fuel pressure , Mabey a return valve problem with the long delay in firing , also the fuel pressure regulator .

Rob

Just VAGCOM'ed it and the cam sensor (hal sensor) has come up, I've cleared it and it hasn't come back but I guess it could be on the way out.

Could this also be the cause of my poor starting.

Rog.

The car will still start bud . It will give you problems every now and again though , as you are experiencing now , the timing of the fuel delivery and valve movements etc . I would check the wiring to it and i think the manual tells you how to test the sensor itself and i know your a dab hand with the meter .

Starting ok today but keep getting the cam sensor come up on vagcom (not always though), think a new sensor is the best plan.

Where the best place to get, go to the stealers or aftermarket??

Rog.

Personally I would go oem bud . I don't know if they are still available , if not it's after market . I would have thought with the sensor , it would go and that would be it ? Not break down slowly . Worth checking the wiring to it as well . Could be expensive for what it is .

I presume its the one near the coilpack? Did it say on vagcom intermittent?

Yes mate it did, something about 'short or open to plus' and then 'intermittent', when its disconnected I get the same fault but not the intermittent bit.

Rog.

There's a little magnetic pick up pressed into the cam wheel, I'm sure Cazza had issues with it previously?

When they go intermittent it just goes in to limp mode (power restricted) supposidly. But the gf had the same error code and the car still drove the same.

Id say the problem lies elsewhere but start with the obvious

When they go intermittent it just goes in to limp mode (power restricted) supposidly. But the gf had the same error code and the car still drove the same.

Id say the problem lies elsewhere but start with the obvious

What was the problem with your gf's car mate?? did you get to the bottom of it??

Rog.