Roger Chatfield

Oil cooler mounting (upside down, on its side)

Thats what I'm going to do Kev, the VW owners manual says don't even begin to worry until 140 and like you say modern oils are far better at handling heat that the stuff that was available 20 years ago.

Also, I've got a new rad and have flushed all the pipes and block through so that should improve my cooling.

Rog.

So what are your average motorway / cruising speed oil temps, Rog?

Thats what I'm going to do Kev, the VW owners manual says don't even begin to worry until 140 and like you say modern oils are far better at handling heat that the stuff that was available 20 years ago.

Also, I've got a new rad and have flushed all the pipes and block through so that should improve my cooling.

Rog.

VW removed oil temp from the MFA on R32s, and also engineered the water gauge to always sit at 90 to stop people worrying :)

We did find the oil temp in Pat McCrotch's old MK5 R32 though, in a hidden menu. That was reading in the mid 90s. R32s take the reading from the sump, so I think reading the temp from the oil filter housing is skewing the readings, especially when you consider the R32 makes more power and therefore generates more heat.

Yep, changing the radiator and (mechanical) water pump, thermostat etc on mine made a big difference to running temps. Mid 80s on the water and mid to high 90s for the oil.

Kev do you think if I drilled and tapped a sump bolt to fit the standard temp sensor it would give a more accurate reading than fitting it in a t piece with the pressure senders?

Yeah that could work. Even easier if you've got an R32 sump, just drill and tap it as it should be thick enough :) Make sure it's round the back out of the airflow though.

Or maybe there is something on the market to replace the dipstick that acts as both a level and temp sensor?

Yeah that could work. Even easier if you've got an R32 sump, just drill and tap it as it should be thick enough :) Make sure it's round the back out of the airflow though.

Or maybe there is something on the market to replace the dipstick that acts as both a level and temp sensor?

That's an ingenious idea, and I can't believe it would be THAT difficult to manufacture.

It must be doable fairly easily I would have thought, but it might mean a standalone display, which purists won't like ;)

Incidentally, BMW removed the dipstick on some American market models, but people complained so much they had to reinstate them!! I guess some people struggle to move on with the times!

Kinda like making a dipstick out of an EGT probe!

Cheers Dox i'll have a look at them, I don't really want to take the sump off if i can avoid it Kev :p

I had a Talbot Horizon which had an oil level indicator light on the dash. The dipstick had an element built into it which reacted when the oil level dropped below it allowing it to heat up. Doesn't seem a great leap from there to what you suggest Kev.

I've got one on my MK1, it's made by VDO and it's height adjustable for different cars. I'm sure it's compatible with the standard MFA gauge but I'm using an analog VDO gauge. Reads between 5 and 10 degrees lower than the MFA.

Now there's a car!

It took a bit of thought before I typed that. It was not a bad car though, if you could ignore the clattery engine and that it was soluble in water. Not a good point given the average Scottish weather.

My landlady had one years ago, I remember the engine sounding like it was about to die any second and it started off blue but quickly bloomed orange from the ground up