Rossi_226

Not a great start...lol

Morning all, our little story so far, bought the G60 a couple of weeks ago, went out to view and drive the car twice before commiting to the purchase, both times she performed faultlessly, so handed over the bundle of cash and off i set. already with plans to have the stage 2 charger checked over and rebuilt if needed. Managed a whopping 96 miles after buying her and major malfunction!! Oil light on oil buzzer going nuts then a clattering from the engine. Got her recovered home by 0130, spent the next day trying to figure out the issue, crank turns smoothly manually and only clatters when she gets up to idle speed, compression is all ok. After this initial head scratching session came to the conclusion this was too big a job to take on with my first VW, so she was collected last week to be stripped down and a possible full rebuild to be done depending on what they find once they open her up. So as you can see not the most promising of starts but once she comes home she will be good for many miles to come!! Look forward to picking all of your brains as i get to grips with the car. Cheers

yeah i was a little annoyed but atleast this way i know the engine will be good and covered by warranty for the next 12 months or 14k. Its always fixable, even if it couldnt be rebuilt i would have just sourced a new lump to be rebuilt and dropped in. Should find out what the fault is this week, then see where we go from there, will be putting in a few upgrades here and there while the engine is out, might as well

Thanks, fingers crossed!!

I just want to know so i can get things moving along, its the not knowing part that does my head in! Want to get her back on the road!:multi:

Little update: My engine is proper screwed. Bottom end is ruined, pistons are ruined as are bores. Hopefully have a replacement being built as we speak from the lad at German Autoworx, so fingers crossed in a few weeks time it will be ready to drop in!!

Sorry to hear that but it's commendable what your doing. Most would take the hit, scrap or part out the car, and move on. Look forward to the progress and some pictures!

I couldnt do that!! It infuriates me when i see the same happening with the GTOs too, with cars like these where there are less and less of them left they need to be kept on the road!!!!!

I couldnt do that!! It infuriates me when i see the same happening with the GTOs too, with cars like these where there are less and less of them left they need to be kept on the road!!!!!

very true indeed Rossi!!

gutted about the engine, but atleast you know where you stand with this engine. and another corrado saved from the crush. standard rebuild or a few mods whilst in there?

Update: Replacement engine paid for, should be delivered Thursday/Friday this week. Now to Order all new mounts and a few extras while the lump is out. Quick question, I've read a few things about the crank bolt, which one is best to order? Getting excited now!!:multi:

Good to hear your on the bounce back from your initial woes. Good sense and forward thinking to carry out upgrades as required while the engine is out. Before you encounter more heartache, however, are you considering a charger rebuild / upgrade to tie in with your rebuilt engine? Unless this had already been done and you have conclusive proof for those works, I would strongly recommend the charger be included in your work profile.

Just seen your thread as new here. Gutted for you Rossi but as others have said, great new that you're not throwing in the towel!

I agree with John, get the charger sorted unless you have conclusive proof it's been done. More money I know but it will save the potential of another nightmare and give you many years of happy motoring ;)

Thanks folks, yeah the charger has been done before i bought the car. But just for my own piece of mind it will be going in for a health check with Jabba just to be on the safe side.

Replacement engine is pretty much all done, just waiting on new crank bolt to arrive, new clutch kit to arrive and be fitted then she should be dropped in. Looking hopefully at end of this week begining of next!!

My G60 blew up the day after i got it too. Turned out to be a perished injector loom causing lean fuelling under load. All sorted now. You manage to get the correct crank bolt?

PS - We need pictures lol

Nice one, reason I asked about the crank bolt as they are a prone failure point on G60's given the load that goes through the crank sprocket and must be specifically torqued as they're a stretch bolt.