odub

02a differences

Is there any difference between the 02a boxes with regards to strength i.e. 16v and vr6?

I'm looking to use my 16v box on to a 20vt soon as that's what I have already, and then go from there with regards to ratios after I've driven it for a bit and worked out what I'm after. thanks in advance

The 02a gearboxes are all equally as strong as each other. They don't suffer the same issues as the 020 transmissions. The only question I would raise with regard to your proposal to use an 02a in conjunction with a 20VT, what BHP are you planning to put through it? The 02a is good for up to circa 320BHP, after this they are prone to failure.

I'd be looking at 300bhp absolute tops. Would a LSD increase strength substantially also?

not sure about the increase in strength but it will help getting the power down :thumbleft:

If anything it'll increase the risk in trashing a gear because instead of a wheel being able to spin away excess torque, both wheels will be driven and the torque will remain in the box.

You'll have an amazing time driving it in the mean time until a gear does eventually strip though.

Keep the outright power down and you won't break anything. You'll find that say 280 would be more useful through a lsd than 320 through an open diff.

That's the plan. It's all through the front wheels so not after big power, just reliability. Open to any suggestions

As a guideline I ran my 02a box on my 16VG60 for the past 18 years. My 02a was equipped with a Quaife LSD and my engine was generating 300BHP. I most certainly used all the power and enjoyed every mile. So indeed these boxes can take this sort of power. This is as far as I was prepared to take this transmission, my new engine a 16V Turbo which is going to be up at 500BHP will be running an 02M box through 4WD.

If you need any further help don't hesitate to call us.

Regards,

John

JMR Ltd 01903 718684

Is there any difference between the 02a boxes with regards to strength i.e. 16v and vr6?

I'm looking to use my 16v box on to a 20vt soon as that's what I have already, and then go from there with regards to ratios after I've driven it for a bit and worked out what I'm after. thanks in advance

Sorry if I've got the wrong idea of what you want to do but you can't use a VR6 box on a 4 cylinder engine anyway.

Agreed, and for clarity you can swap around the internal components between the 02a transmissions, but be aware that there are two variations on the shifter selector towers. Clearly the 4 cylinder engines utilised a different bell housing casting to that of the 6 cylinder.

Yeah I didn't know if he wanted to just bolt a VR box on or use the VR internals, I was just trying to make him aware the 1st option wouldn't work, without offending him if he already knew that lol

I wasn't sure if the rest of the internals were compatable to swap so didn't comment on that.

The only thing with an 02a is they are getting a little old now, unless your getting it rebuilt, have you considered an 02j.

You would need to change the driveshaft cups but they will be newer and they were fitted to the 1.8t by vw.

It may be worth thinking about upgrading the rivets on the diff with a bolt kit.

Was a bit unclear meaning internals. I'd be looking at a rebuild with limited slip diff

Ok not a problem. All you need to do is have your 02a box rebuilt with the inclusion of your LSD, and you are good to go. By internals I was referring to the gear ratios etc. the gearing of your transmission might need a little re-thinking as you are wanting to change your engine to which it is paired, from a 136BHP 16V to a circa 300BHP 20VT. These two engines will have very different power deliver profiles, and in order to get the best from them the ratios should ideally be changed to suit. Your mid to upper range is going to be very different. Food for thought. In my 16VG60 I used the Mk3 Golf TDi CTN 02a gear ratios with a Quaife. This combo was extremely well matched to the low end torque and high end speed management. It also allowed a fuel return of 34mpg when behaving!

I have the same gearbox in mine,that John had,the CTN,brilliant for eating up the motorway miles,but geared IMHO for lots of fun through the gears,mines got a wavetrac,which you'll need for your application,last rolling road day,mine did 148mph in fourth gear,

Good to see you on here again John

Thanks Mark, I do hope so, because it won't be for a lack of investment, time or enthusiasm. More detail to come yet, just so time consuming posting it up :-)

I have just purchased a CTN 02a so will bolt it up and see what happens. just need the engine finished and back in the car now