vr6paul

Causing auto glass a headache

So last week I discovered a nasty crack in the corrado windscreen that got longer with minimal pressure on the screen. Called insurance then auto glass and arranged a technician for last Friday. They phoned back Thursday to say the guy they had planned to send couldn't do that screen, they had to send someone else on Sunday. The chap they did send had a hard time it seemed and couldn't get the screen surround to fit, gaps at the top etc.

They are now sending 2 guys back on Thursday this week to refit the screen again (with a spare screen incase they break the new one that they are removing). Fun and games!

Seriously, watch them every step and if needed, refit your old surround/trim. There have been loads of reports recently of people with major rust damage and/or water ingress from poorly fitted screens. They get too forceful when fitting it and damage the paint behind the sealant, this then corrodes very quickly!

As I understand it, there should be a fitting kit for the Corrado windscreen which is sort of like those tile spacers - you pop them into each corner and it helps align the screen centrally when bonding it in place. I don't think many places bother with it though, and as in your case, they run into issues with the screen dropping.

Good luck though! And depending on how brave you feel, search for the forum for windscreen replacement threads - you're not alone. It's a perpetual source of headaches for unfortunate Corrado owners!

I have seen so many Corrados over the last four years with terrible corrosion issues around the windscreen frame, all of which down to poor removal and installation by the alleged professionals from national companies. The cost of rectifying these issues is extensive, involving screen renewal, welding works, and re-spraying all the adjoining coachwork! Jim you are correct, there are kits available to aid installation. These are not always required, but that depends on the experience and ability of the fitter. Watch these guys in everything they do, because to date they have clearly failed to impress, and your Corrado will be potentially left in a right old mess. Water leaks, poor wiper operation, wind noise etc all issues we have seen in addition to the long term issues like corrosion. Also be advised that the OEM

Windscreen seal needs to be salvaged if at all possible, as this part is no longer available from dealer. There are aftermarket seals out there, but again the quality of these is variable, and some are totally useless. A decent installer will

Have access to well fitting parts, because he knows it will make his job easier, and you won't be presenting any post works complaints. Good luck.

To be honest there is already a small hole on the upper passenger side corner (under the outer seal) - my car is a bit of a project - so when I do get the body work done I will need to rectify this too. He did say the old rubber outer seal had been put on by someone botching the job previously. I'm not sure he is thinking this now that his first batch did not fit.

From the outset he did warn about rust around the window etc (before touching the car).

I have auto windscreens coming next wednesday to fit me a new screen. Just had to sort out a shed load of rot in the frame. Will let you know how they get on. Your dudes sound a bit clueless though.

ive just come across this thread, i thought it was only my car. Had the screen replaced, and it was a horrible task for the guy, he couldnt get the screen to sit properly, anyway after a few hours of messing it up, he finally got it in and the fit is horrible.

The seal doesnt fit correctly etc... it bothers the hell out of me, so im gonna either get them to remove it, or get my bodyshop to do it correctly.

Be careful with these co called professionals. i could probably do a better job myself!

My fitter had bother with the outer new seal so refitted my old one and it's not great, doesn't sit up in the top corners properly and pops out quite easy. At least it's water tight though. Oh wait, it's not even water tight lol. Will sort that myself though as there is no way it's coming out again.

Mines due in this week. The fitter seems to know what he's talking about and has experience which is encouraging, although he said its been a while since he fitted one. He wanted my old trim though as he said the new ones can be problematic. My screen came out without breaking and its going back in. Its was changed relatively recently by the look of it, which also helped in some way as there was no rot what so ever around the lip so assume it was sorted then.

I was so paranoid about rust after having a new screen on mine that I filled the groove around the windscreen with Dinitrol rust inhibitor, cavity wax. Then refitted the rubber seal. Any gaps in the seal will have been filled as the Dinitrol is a "creeping" gap filler and rust inhibitor.