robrado974

Starting problem has returned. Video inc

Ive made a vid of this problem now .This sounds to me like fuel starvation when the car is first started. As you can see and hear when the car is cranked the second time it fires no problem . I still think this is fuel , im going to investigate the return valve again .After changing some parts this seemed to go away but is now coming back .When i had the problem 8 months or so ago it would splutter on start and eventually fire up , if i drove for a few miles or so and left it , the longer you left it the harder it was to start, for example if i stopped at a shop then got back in the car there was no problem .20 minutes or so after being left it would be more difficult to start .I dont have this problem anymore its just that first crank .fuel parts and checks wise inc ,new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter and i changed the pump.The blue temp sender is also new. My usual friendly machanic was too busy at the time so i used another garage, i gave them the manual and they said they checked the fuel pressure and it was fine . I only took it somewhere to be looked at as i dont have a pressure tester otherwise i would have done it myself. Please have a listen to the vid , Any info or ideas will be much appreciated

Regards

Rob

th_IMG_0244.mp4

Edited by robrado974

Definitely sounds like something amiss with combustion on the first turn Rob. :scratch:

What else has been changed with regard to ignition? Seem to remember a pretty comprehensive list of parts before.

Hi Sean , ignition wise ive changed the switch, new leads, spark plugs , dizzy cap ,tested the coil, cleaned all the plugs inc ecu and multiplug .The one thing ive got,. but have not changed yet is the dizzy itself . I could be wrong but it just does not sound like an electrical problem .Its struggling to keep up the revs as if theres only a trickle of fuel . Then on the second start ,the pump has pushed enough through for it to fire as normal .

Edited by robrado974

Sounds like some sort of vapour lock similar to G60's if the pump overrun stops working. Heat evaporates the fuel in the rail, the longer it's left the harder it is to start. Might be worth looking into.

Rob, try leaving the ign on for a few sets before stating and see if that mates a difference.

Failing that I have a fuel pump relay with a push button over ride switch, you are more than welcome to borrow it to see if it solves your problem.

Also, check your fuel lines, I checked mine and the supply line was leaking at the pump.

BTW, sounds really sweet once it's running.

Rog.

Worth checking Vag-com for an error on the blue sender - if it's faulty the ECU uses a default value of 70°C which makes the mixture a little too lean to start reliably. You can tell if it's the fault as clearing the fault with the engine running will cause the revs to spike to 2000rpm for a couple of seconds until the fault recurs.

The signal's passed through the fan controller so it may be worth giving it a blast of WD40 through the connectors just in case.

Stone