16VG60

John Mitchell JMR Ltd 4WD 16V Turbo Corrado Build

Great to see more progress on this, John!

What were the specs of the 8v PG evolutions? I'd be interested in getting some more power out of mine ;)

The last evolution of my original 8V PG engine was 1.9 block bored to 83mm with JE pistons, balanced and lightened bottom end, lighted and balanced flywheel, windage tray, Schrick baffled sump, ported and flowed big valve head, Schrick cam, red injectors, adjustable FPR, Ported exhaust manifold, JMR big bore high flow front pipe, Milltek de-cat system, JMR cold air intake, JMR ported throttle valve, JMR match ported inlet manifold, JMR Stage 5 G Lader build, custom re-map, oil cooler, JMR charge cooler, Nology HT leads and high power ignition coil, JMR engine breather system, plus some other kit . This little package was good for 250 BHP and I enjoyed it for a while, but like all things there were ideas brewing for a little more power, in the form of a 16VG60 build I had in mind.

Well in keeping with all long term project builds, the nearer one gets to completion the slower time seems to pass.

We have carried out the initial mapping of the Omex 710 ECU and we have established a stable idling engine

We have however encountered a couple of issues which have temporarily hampered progress. The Zeitronix instrument display was not wanting to accept any attempt to calibrate the oil pressure sensor and as a result we had to fit a diagnostic gauge to the engine to quantify the oil pressure being generated. This was resolved following three calls to the States and sourcing another programming cable. All calibrated now

Our other issue was with the dry sump pump. Whilst we had pressure it was only 3 bar from cold at idle, reducing to 1 bar at 80 degrees C. Typically and on a good engine one should see between 5 & 6 bar from cold and over 1 bar at idle at full operating temperature. The recognised test procedure for oil pressure on most 4 cyl VAG engines is to see a minimum of 2 bar pressure at 2000 rpm with an oil temp of 80 degrees C. Well we were generating 1.8 bar during this test so problem. After some further investigation and re-decorating the general area blue the culprit was isolated. The dry sump pump had somehow been incorrectly spec'd and after a phone call to our friends at Pace Products all was sorted and a higher capacity pump is winging its way to us.

While I am having to wait for the pump, I thought this would be a good time to re-furb the front Brembo's into gloss silver finish. So this is underway. While today I have been fitting a new set of sill extensions and modifying the nearside extension to allow the exhaust to exit through it.

Just the offside sill extension to fit and that will have all the body trims sorted.

As soon as the dry sump pump arrives it will be fitted, tested and then we are off to the rolling road to have some fun. Let's hope March enjoys some dry sunny days for the all important running process and testing our AWD centre diff. Exciting ent it

Edited by 16VG60

Absolutely love seeing development of the corrado, after all these years it's nice to see people are still looking for upgrades.

Especially love the 4wd, something I'd like to do eventually

Absolutely love seeing development of the corrado, after all these years it's nice to see people are still looking for upgrades.

Especially love the 4wd, something I'd like to do eventually

My car has been under permanent development, it only runs on average 1 in every three years of my ownership

There always a better set up and improvements in technology and in my own ongoing desire to play with this car.

The 4WD will make possible the ability to run much greater BHP, much more than that needed to overcome the additional weight of the drivetrain. We will be getting along to a number of shows this year, so hope you'll take the opportunity to look at our system. Get your thoughts turning to an install onto your Corrado??

Fantastic work John, it's heartening to see there are still folks out there who see the value in continuing to develop this classic in waiting...

MF

One system we are keen to see the results on, is our very own permanent 4WD centre Differential which we have designed and developed to replace the Haldex centre Diff and with it, a real answer to the 4WD conversion and the whole question over the use of part time 4WD the Haldex offers. Our Diff will give full time all wheel drive, through a mechanical non-electronic unit, which has been designed by us as a direct bolt on alternative to replace the Haldex. The pics show our prototype centre Diff installed. Following a full testing program this centre diff will go into production and offer an exciting new product for all vehicles using the early Haldex system.

Any more info on this? I have a interest in it. Are they available now?

Thank you for your interest. We have a number of interested parties watching the development of our AWD diff. The current state of play is that we are having some final engineering issues to iron out on the dry sump drive and also to install KW's HLS4 system. We will then be able to get on the rolling road to map the new 16VT engine. This done my Corrado will be ready to get road testing underway, at long last. Our other hold up on this project is we have been intensely busy completing our customers project builds and my Corrado has to be fitted in wherever possible, which isn't too often at present. I have been into the workshop this morning and hopefully as a result of which, will be able to complete the final engineering mods to the dry sump drive very soon. I will post detail of our diff in the near future, but if you would like to discuss please contact us at the workshop after the Easter weekend. However please note we will be with KW in Germany from next Wednesday, returning to UK on Saturday. Hopefully returning with my HLS4 system I look forward to hearing from you, our contact details can be found on our website.

http://www.johnmitchellracing.co.uk

Regards,

John

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84040[/ATTACH]

SOOOOOOOOOOOO much time for that rear defuser!!!!

Cars incredible mate!

Really nice to see it all being done so thorough.

do you have any pictures of the rear end with that defuser from a bit further back? and Would you make another one? haha

Had the pleasure of seeing this in the metal today at the dublogic show.

IMG_2793_zpsjowon3kz.jpg

IMG_2792_zpshsgk5qoz.jpg

Was good to talk to you John, congrats on the prizes, well deserved, your car is inspiring

Proper weapon isn't it. One of my favourite Corrado's out there right now. The sheer amount of work that's gone into it is mind blowing.

What. A. Car!! Stunning.

Makes me think I should really do something with mine....