robrado974

Sump bolts late Vr

Any body have these in a parts bin ?

I have looked for the original sump gasket and it seems you cannot get them now , so I will have to get a rubber one . I've been told the early bolts on my 92 Vr will not be long enough . Many thanks

Rob

What size (length) are yours Rob, I have the originals from my 94 VR6 that were stripped and re-zinc plated when I changed to the ally 24v sump and probably won't need them any longer, or alternatively replace with St/Steel instead?

Ian.

I did i think :lol:

Thats what i was told and after talking to Vince when i dropped my engine off, i'm sure thats what he was also saying to me.

I have a set of long and a set of the short bolts. But only ever seen thick rubber gaskets.

Definitely rubbish then :lol:

Seriously though, I've never had an issue with VR6 sump bolts with rubber gaskets or ally sumps etc.

But just to be safe, I would just get a bag of generic 4Motion / R32 sump bolts from the dealer. VAGs all use ally sumps now (thicker flange thickness) therefore plenty log enough. I might even have a load of them in my "Drawer O' old vag ****"

Its true that the early vr used the fabric type gasket which used shorter bolts and the later rubber type gasket used the longer bolts

I ordered the wrong gAsket by mistake from AVS last year which was the fibre one Rob, so the gaskets (albeit aftermarket) can still be had too.

Its true that the early vr used the fabric type gasket which used shorter bolts and the later rubber type gasket used the longer bolts

I owe you an apology Mr Bowen. It's me who's talking rubbish :)

Right that's got that sorted lol !

Ian , I will be in touch on Saturday , I've ordered all my stuff , but they are getting the more gaskets in , they won't know which ones until they arrive . I take it the glue / mastic type stuff is used with both types ?

Edited by robrado974

Thanks Sean , if the wrong gaskets come in with the order ie they only have rubber ones i will ring the company you metioned earlier .

Thanks Sean , if the wrong gaskets come in with the order ie they only have rubber ones i will ring the company you metioned earlier .

Edit Tried looking online , AVS ?

You don't need selant with the rubber gasket. Just make sure the mating surfaces are completely smooth and clean.

The trick to it not leaking is making sure they're torqued consistently across all 25 odd bolts, and not over-tightened. It's quite easy to buckle the steel sump by over tightening the bolts, and then it leaks.

I have sourced a fibre gasket now . Thanks for all the help , much appreciated as always . Ian , thanks for the offer of the bolts , it should be ok now .

Rob