Hairyarse

Shouldn't I have an ABS warning lamp?

This is just a blank switch front;

2014-09-10162448_zpsc59dfcf5.jpg

I thought that all C's had ABS? There's certainly what looks like an ABS unit under the bonnet.

Curiosity is getting the better of me on this one. The brakes work ok though!

If the one labelled in you signature (95 16v) then yes it should. All Corrados from 93 (iirc) onward should have abs. It's likely someone has put a blank there as there was a fault, so to fool the MOT tester. You'll need a good working lamp to diagnose any fault as the lamp is integral for the system to perform the startup sequence.

Hi Sean, thanks for the reply. Yes the car in my sig is the one I'm referring to.

The brakes feel ok, although on braking there is a faint hissing/buzzing noise which I was putting down to vacuum leak at the servo. Maybe it's ABS related?

I've got a basic OBD scanner and it can't connect to the ABS system so I guess that's to do with the light missing. It sounds then like I need to get one and go from there?

Thanks again

Andy

You'll know you have ABS because the self test process will send a short pulse through the pedal when you first pass 10 kph after starting the engine. Assuming it's working ... MOT testers should have spotted that the lamp wasn't there if the car was fitted with it at the factory and failed the car .. ! Though this is assuming too much in most cases ..

Mines disconnected too and it doesn't affect braking - well apart from no abs obviously! I have vcds and can interrogate the system though, so it's possible your obd scanner isn't compatible, or there is another underlying issue. Put out a request for anyone in your area to scan it for you for a few beer tokens, and it should give you something a little more solid to go off mate.

Before you purchase an ABS warning light, be advised there are two types used on the later 92 model year Corrados. There is a single plug and a double plug type warning light. Remove the blanking cover you have fitted and look behind it in the dash cavity to see whether you one or two flat harness plugs.

When you say a pulse through the pedal, is this something you feel I take it?

My scanner scans the engine codes ok so assuming it's do with the ABS system but could be wrong. I did have a mate with a pricey snapon gismo connect when I bought it but that was when I was trying to sort out the idle issues. I can't remember if we checked ABS then or not. I'll have to get him to try again! lol

Before you purchase an ABS warning light, be advised there are two types used on the later 92 model year Corrados. There is a single plug and a double plug type warning light. Remove the blanking cover you have fitted and look behind it in the dash cavity to see whether you one or two flat harness plugs.

Thanks for the warning John, I've been PM-ing with Goldie as he has a few but he's suggested I get VW to check which part number I need against the VIN given the different types

They unfortunately will be unlikely to advise you in this matter as chassis designated parts allocation was a feature introduced for much later built cars circa 2000 on. Your best bet is to check behind the dash for the plugs left unconnected. The loom is very specific and it will be easy to establish which item is required as the plugs will be in direct vicinity of the item to be connected.

Its like a clunk, you will feel it..

If you find your wiring loom in the dash take a picture, that will also help identify the correct warning light..