loepan

rough vr6 any initial checks i can do?

ok so having a generally problem free year....

drove around 14miles all ok and parked in my local shopping centre, was about an hour in the shops (nice sunny day)

restarted the car and something didn't sound right straight away, turned the ignition off and restarted but same problem.

the engine sounds rough, on idle it doesn't sound as if its about to stall but almost like its working on 50% when i drove it home (limply i might add) i had loss of power in all gears, if at 40-50mph i put it in 4th or 5th it would act as though its on the brink of stalling, 'IF' i didn't know from the engine response and the vibration at power down in low revs through the dash, and was standing next to it, the exhaust almost sounds like its blown, like a real deeper burble chavvy subaru type, in a bad way this gets worse in the lower revs of the gears, more spluttering than usual also

when i reach top revs in gears the exhaust tone sounds better but it still defininately suffering loss of power

when driving 40-50 if i switched to a higher gear 4th or 5th as above and put my foot down, the engine felt like it was dancing around in the bay (but not kangarooing) and the engine tone got deeper, almost like its skipping a beat, so always suffering in the lower revs, but like i say high revs is better but not right

almost like my low end is drowning and my high end 50%

only recent things i have done is, listed all no matter how daft:

topped up with oil before a long journey, but ran to cornwall and back 150miles trouble free dipstick is on 50% mark

spaced out wheels, i know but there it is

attached my bmc filter to pulley bolt with bracket

undone coolant lid to check levels (it is screwed back on correctly)

i have ran engine and disconnected maf sensor and the engines idle drops lower

any things i can check before paying a garage? i don't have vagcom, unless someone local to ilfracombe does and can help out? and a small knowledge of engines, the type of 'internet' based knowledge if you know what i mean

cheers guys

Sounds like its misfiring. Check all leads are tight on the plugs first, then worth pulling a lead at a time and starting the car to see how it sounds each time. If it sounds the same between a lead being pulled and how its running now, that'll give you an indication if thats where the fault lies. Could well be a duff lead or coil pack.

Hi mate . I would check all vac hoses for splits or holes which could be upsetting the air intake . Clean the maf plug . Also how good are the ignition leads ? Could be poor spark ? Is it running on all cylinders ? .

Rob

to check if its running on all cylinders/misfire, run engine and disconnect one by one from the dizzy yeah? see if one doesn't affect engine run?

Sounding like a scooby does usually indicate coilpack leads or plugs as said above plull them off the coilpack one at a time and listen for any changes in engine note. When Coilpacks fail they fail in pairs ie down to 4 cylinders

i have a distributor cap type, ok so pulled each one individually and spark present on all at dizzy cap, but as jon indicated, two of them do not change the engine conditions when pulled, the rest do, unless there is slight difference between the two and I'm not hearing correctly, they are next to each other on the cap, think that is 2 and 6? bottom left and bottom right spark plug positions when looking into engine bay, anyway they're sparking but not changing the engine

do dizzy cap types fail in two also??

Sounds like it's missing. Probably running on 4.

Engines basically need only 3 things, air, fuel, spark, start at the basics, do a comp test, check all the plugs, clean them all up, check the leads, dizzy cap and rotor, maybe pull the injectors and swap them around to see if the problem moves.

Btw, I've got a dizzy, injectors and an ecu here if you want to borrow them to fault find, also got vagcom if you want a scan.

Rog.

cheers lads,

i'll check the leads with my multi first and clean all the plugs and go from there, ill report back soon

Hi guys im having a similar issue and i could do with all the help please :shrug: started the C up yesterday and it just cut out on me, tried again, it turned over but was very rough seconds later it cut out again, i then tried to re-start but all i got was this strange noise, tried again and it fired up but was very rough and lumpy, had to keep foot on throttle to stop her from switching off i managed to get her home and could feel a very minor judder almost as though she was missing slightly, i had a nosey around and found HT lead 2 was arching! Gave it a slight pull and out it popped i then Re-fitted this, checked the rest of the leads and found lead 1 loose so i gave that a push down, it all seems normal now but still having issues, lead 2 seems it has been fiddled with by previous owner has tape around it??? so will pick up one later on but for some reason i feel this is not the problem.. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated she is all i got the BMW is in body shop and i cant get time of work so need to get her up and running soon as cheers all

I would still change them all as a precaution, I bought some genuine ones for my Lupo from the dealer and after I fitted them the car drove so bad I couldn't even drive the mile or so to work, popping and banging and struggling to accelerate some of the reasons. Found 2 had arched in the same place got them changed under warranty and it runs spot on now.

It might not be the be all and end all of your problem but it's a good place to start with the damaged leasds you have..

Adam

Harry, I suggest getting it VAGCOM scanned, I had a start issue with mine and the scan picked up a cam sensor fault.

There is a thread on here somewhere with people local to you who can do you a scan.

Rog.

Remove all the sparkplugs and use a jump lead to check for a spark at the plugs

IMAG0367_zps9ca02d04.jpg

Thank you guys i have ordered some new leads as i no num 2 is playing up it has been taped by previous owner to stop it from arching ??:scratch: will see if this helps if not then i shall go through other suggestions mentioned above.. Also excluding number 1 and 2 leads the rest have some sort of tabs on top to pull the spark lead out is this normal? Or a modification.

cheers owner 85, mine still has the original plastic remover connected to the hood stay, if that's no good a pal should have one

gonna give it a blast tonight#

cheers

Ryt so i changed all the HT leads also fixed the PCV valve checked and made sure no pipes loose, disconnected battery for 15 min fired her up and damn same issue lol.. Took it around the block drives nicely but soon as revs drop she knocks of... Cant get hold of VAGCOM until weekend... Any other suggestions gents?? And thankx to all for the much needed advise

well pulled the plugs on mine bottom two i suspected faulty we're all taped up and rubber had corroded and split, so going to replace them anyway

also noticed the tubing from the fuel pressure regulator is split, practically in two! any ideas of where to source a replacement??

once these are done ill let you know, might change spark plugs whilst I'm at it

The fabric fraying is is pretty much a given tbh. I can't remember if its obsolete from VW, but it was sold by the metre iirc. There are lots of alternatives around so probably worth just having a mooch around for covered fuel line of the correct inner diameter.

well pulled the plugs on mine bottom two i suspected faulty we're all taped up and rubber had corroded and split, so going to replace them anyway

also noticed the tubing from the fuel pressure regulator is split, practically in two! any ideas of where to source a replacement??

once these are done ill let you know, might change spark plugs whilst I'm at it

Think I have some. Could only buy a 1m. Will post you a bit if you send me an address.

I used some tube from a lawn mower as a temp repair. But think the stuff I bought is more like the original.