feeenix14

New tax rules. Thinking of selling. Panic or not ??

So I've been mulling over selling the rado for a while (initially due to a new job, now I'm thinking of getting a camper van) and i got my tax reminder through yesterday because my tax runs out on Oct 31st. I read a few threads saying that problems will occur when people buy and sell new cars with the new tax system. Is there still the thoughts of impending doom ? or can i just go online and buy 6 months tax for my car and sell it with six months tax ? I wont be doing the direct debit thing but someone at work told me that if theres a few months tax left on your car when you sell it you have to claim it back and the new owner has to get their own tax ? That cant be right surely ? :scratch:

You cant sell with any tax now mate. When the buyer of the car comes along he then has to ring up and put tax on it and you then send your tax off to get a refund

He's right! The registered keeper of the vehicle has to apply for tax when they buy the car and claim what ever is left when they sell the car.

Jeezus. Thats flippin madness. I hate selling cars and this is just something else to add to the stress. I suppose I'm better off putting the car on SORN at the end of the month then if i definitely decide to sell.

Am i the only one thats not to bothered about this ??

The only thing your not getting anymore is something for free ! Example ...... Free tax that someone else has paid for you

The point that you have to tax it the day you biy it isnt that bad surely and when it come to buying and selling surely you dont buy or sell enough cars to be bothered about it !

If tou want to sell your corrado for a camper then either sorn the car or claim back the tax then sell it

I'm not particularly bothered about it i just wanted to check what the crack was so i had an idea nearer the time. I suppose i just think it looks better when advertising a car that it has full mot and tax but those days are now history.

I cant see a problem if someone turns up and decides to buy, then uses my wifi while we do paperwork and drink tea to tax their car online using their phone and takes a screen grab for proof that tax has been paid just in case the worst happens and they get pulled over because the system has taken time to update.

From having a further look round i think most peoples panic/moans have been because if you sell with 3 weeks tax left you cant claim that back so potentially could lose out on nearly a months tax when claiming back - but i thought that was the case anyway when you sent a disc back ?

Anyway its changed now and theres nowt we can do about it, and like you say I'm not a car dealer so wont be affected greatly

thanks for the input tho peeps.

What is the point of it? Seems completely unnecessary to me and just another way for them to earn money from us. Isn't there enough paperwork in the world already? Perhaps I'm missing something... anyone have an idea?

The DVLA save money by no longer issuing paper tax discs and they also benefit as most cars when sold/bought will have tax paid by the seller and purchaser for one month. On another point car tax revenues have fallen massively as most new company cars fall in really low tax brackets. I think a BMW 320d costs £30 a year to tax

I'm astonished by much of the negativity around this. The convenience of monthly direct debit payments with less added premium than was applied when buying 6 months previously. No tax disc in the window and of course not having to ensure your car has plenty of tax on it still to satisfy a potential buyer. The new system ensures the tax is immediately linked to the owner/user which is a big step forward.

The talk of refund applying to full months only is the same as ever albeit at the point of sale there will be a crossover period. It may impact on car dealers more but I'm not about to start feeling overly sorry for them.

The new system ensures the tax is immediately linked to the owner/user which is a big step forward.

A big step forward towards what? Previously, the remaining tax for that car was part of the purchase so was therefore linked to the new owner, so what has changed? The only reason I can think of where it would be important is if they have something in mind to help combat those who avoid paying... a way to link owners with tax payers. I don't see how this will help currently - in fact, if someone doesn't intend to pay, then it just means the car has no tax from the moment they buy it. Unless the software is already in place to track owners v payers?

Monthly DD is convenient for those who wish to spread the payment over more than 6 months, so yes, of course I can see the benefit for those people.

No tax disc in the window definitely cleans up the look of the car, but I'm pretty sure that for most motorists, the only day they'll care is the day they don't have to put the new disc in the screen...

That said, I do think the new method is better. I'm just naturally cynical of any new scheme where it appears that the populous is paying more (especially when things are being paid twice) and the beneficiaries are government/agency/authority, esp. if it involves motorists!

I have no problem with the change because as with most of us, I already pay for our road tax, Mot and Insurance when its due, but I dont see how this change is gonna stop the ones who dont bother paying?

Also how much is it gonna cost to chase up all the failed DD payments

A big step forward towards what? Previously, the remaining tax for that car was part of the purchase so was therefore linked to the new owner, so what has changed? The only reason I can think of where it would be important is if they have something in mind to help combat those who avoid paying... a way to link owners with tax payers. I don't see how this will help currently - in fact, if someone doesn't intend to pay, then it just means the car has no tax from the moment they buy it. Unless the software is already in place to track owners v payers?

Monthly DD is convenient for those who wish to spread the payment over more than 6 months, so yes, of course I can see the benefit for those people.

No tax disc in the window definitely cleans up the look of the car, but I'm pretty sure that for most motorists, the only day they'll care is the day they don't have to put the new disc in the screen...

That said, I do think the new method is better. I'm just naturally cynical of any new scheme where it appears that the populous is paying more (especially when things are being paid twice) and the beneficiaries are government/agency/authority, esp. if it involves motorists!

It will help measures to identify cars without road tax, at present you could buy a car with 12 months tax and run it unregistered and no doubt uninsured etc. With ANPR systems identifying the 'offenders' the cars can be taken off the road and keep more uninsured drivers off the road

I for one am pleased that the system has finally moved away from the stupidity of having to place a *second* identifying mark on each car every year, and having to apply and pay for it manually during the ONE month you're allowed to do so in order to avoid receiving an automatic fine and/or having your car crushed. Seriously, how did they think it was ok to have an automatic fine if you didn't pay, but no way you could automatically pay .. ?? That was ****ed up.

There is the minor annoyance of winding up paying to tax a car twice in one month, but that doesn't exactly happen often. I would imagine that now there's no coloured disc required to be displayed they will probably move away from always having tax start and end on the month boundaries - thereby solving that problem too.

Edited by dr_mat

It will be interesting how much of a premium the add for monthly D/D payments.

IMO the impact as always will be on the law abiding in society, the scroats still wont pay tax or insurance!

Just used the 12 month direct debit option for the first time to start 01/11. On a BMW with an annual rate of £180 there is an additional charge of £9 per annum or 75p a month (5%)a good deal as far as I'm concerned as I now need only budget for payments of £15.75 a month rather than a one off hit and if I don't trust the DVLA to stop the payments when I sell the car I can certainly cancel the DD myself.

See how many of the peope promoting the new system complain when they realise they can no longer go and just see and buy a car and drive it away. As I've mentioned the MID can take days to update meaning you can't tax it as soon as you buy it unless you have insured it days in advance.

Plus unless I'm mistaken you can save monthly for your tax for free without the DVLAs permission, it's called a savings or budget account.

See how many of the peope promoting the new system complain when they realise they can no longer go and just see and buy a car and drive it away. As I've mentioned the MID can take days to update meaning you can't tax it as soon as you buy it unless you have insured it days in advance.

And then you find its a badly described POS after you've put it on policy and taxed it too, where as the old system its just a phone call to put it on policy once you've inspected the car and done the deal.

I've previously bought cars from Sunderland, Harrogate and the Isle of Man, so I speak from experience

What annoys me about this system is the double taxation it causes, combined with making it more difficult to just buy a car and drive it away with a simple call to the insurance company.