science

Green Pearl VR6 aka Green Gretel

Took a couple of days to fit new bonnet foam.

The old foam pretty much fell off but the glue tough stuff.

White sprit and tar/glue remover seem just as effective. Leaving it to soak overnight does nothing. It's just a lot of scrapping to remove it all.

[ATTACH]82452[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82453[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82454[/ATTACH]

Took a couple of days to fit new bonnet foam.

The old foam pretty much fell off but the glue tough stuff.

White sprit and tar/glue remover seem just as effective. Leaving it to soak overnight does nothing. It's just a lot of scrapping to remove it all.

Good work here - mine's in the same condition. Where did you get the foam from, is it still available from VAG?

After fitting the OBD2 loom the plan was to make an adapter to fit the original Corrado manifold with the bigger plenum.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?78649-OBD2-TB-gt-OBD1-manifold-adapter-plate

I got as far as making the adapter before I compared the throttle cable route. Now it's attached to to underside of the throttle body making the angle of the bracket wrong.

Corrado

[ATTACH]82620[/ATTACH]

Obd2

[ATTACH]82621[/ATTACH]

It would be possible to drill and tap the manifold for the cable guide to fit, but the isv port also needs blocking and trimming down.

That as far as I've got and it's been put on hold as I've had the offer of a VR Syncro manifold.

This has the larger plenum, same as the Corrado, but used the OBD2 throttle body pattern.

[ATTACH]82622[/ATTACH]

It was in reasonable good shape save for some dirt and corrosion, but I do like shinny things so...

After protecting the machined surfaces with petroleum jelly. I gave it a dousing with my new favourite household chemical.

[ATTACH]82623[/ATTACH]

This stuff is 81% phosphoric acid and corrosive.

"Don't try this at home kids!"

The phosphoric acid reacts with the aluminium oxide an aluminium phosphate smut which needs rinsing away.

See http://www.phosphatesfacts.org/pdfs/PhosphatesMetalFinishing.pdf

After a few cycles all it needs is a scrub with a stainless steel scourer it's as new!

I forgot to take any after photos except for the underside, if anyone wants the part number.

[ATTACH]82625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82624[/ATTACH]

I guess the big question is if it's worth it, I had hoped to get a couple of dyno runs to asses the difference as I don't think anyone has compared back to back. Unfortunately that couldn't happen but my butt dyno says it's goes better and sounds better even the wife noticed (without knowing I swapped the manifolds.)

Edit: Topside

[ATTACH]82643[/ATTACH]

Edited by science