davidwort

Rosetta Philae lander - scale model at my work

Next door to my office is the Science faculty building of the Open University where a number of academics and researchers have been working for years on projects like Philae/Rosetta and Beagle2, there's a really good display of meteorite parts, lander models and so on I thought someone might be interested to see, half scale this model we think

apologies for our ugly mugs in the picture

15781708192_0310a1fa47_c.jpgRosetta Philae lander half scale by David0011, on Flickr

one of the failed anchoring harpoons:

15160175574_b0495da73b_c.jpgRosetta Philae lander half scale by David0011, on Flickr

Edited by davidwort

David, I've never met you but I'm kinda hoping you're the guy on the right......!

Lol just what I was thinking Mark

Bloody hell, I thought that was Steven Hawkins! Lol

What, standing up?

Nah, keep it going! Let the banter and inevitable 'Rocket scientist' nerd jokes / references commence :lol:

It is true though, people of a certain profession always do live up to their stereotypes!

I'm shocked and appalled it's taken them this long to get a bunch of metal poles and a box onto Mars, though. What the hell have they been doing for all these years?!? Only kidding!

I'm shocked and appalled it's taken them this long to get a bunch of metal poles and a box onto Mars

Good try Kev... ;)

Can't believe a 1 billion dollar project is held together with cable ties... I mean what's wrong with duct tape FFS....

Rog.

And the one bit of the lander that broke...

This sensor package from the German space agency's Institute for Planetary Research deployed a thermometer on the end of a hammer.

It retrieved a number of temperature profiles but broke as it tried to burrow its way into the comet's subsurface.