Jim

Group Buy Feeler: Reproduction VR6 Silver Grille Badges (Update P3)

Hi folks.

Well I must be a glutton for punishment. After completing the speedo binnacle cover group buy, I feel like it's time to turn my eyes onto another project. Something we all talk about, and something that should be (hopefully) possible to duplicate is the VR6 grille emblem in silver.

Firstly my intention is for it to be a faithful replica, with a proper brushed metal finished and not just a flat chrome. I've had several ideas on this and think it can be achieved. However. I suspect it may come at a cost. I've no idea at this point what prices are likely to be as I'm only just in discussions with companies but it could get up as high as £40-£50. I would of course HOPE I can get it down to a more sensible level though.

So - what I'm interested in numbers of folks who would be, within reason, in for a badge (assuming it is a very faithful, decent replica) bearing the possible prices in mind. Please don't put your name down if that sort of price is a bit steep for you.

I had intended to keep it a bit of a secret and just unleash it when it was done - but really I could do with knowing numbers before I try and get this off the ground.

Impressed you're braving another one of these group buys mate. I'd definitely be interested if it had that OEM brushed look as you say, rah her than a shiny chrome

The brushed finish is absolutely paramount. I won't be doing them if I can't get that done right.

First up thank you for taking this on Jim..

With the standard line of 'subject to the badge being a match to an original' I'm interested...

First up thank you for taking this on Jim..

With the standard line of 'subject to the badge being a match to an original' I'm interested...

As I say, as close to original (or better) is my intention. If we can't get it that close, I won't be doing it.

Well done on your latest product for the forum Jim . I looked into this too . No problem with the making of the badge , it's finding a company that does brushed chrome . The ones I found before don't seem to be on the net anymore ?

Good on you for taking it on Jim maybe if we can crack the brushed chrome effect we can look at the rear corrado badge too but one step at a time

I would have thought the grille badge would be harder to do due to the retaining clips..........

The script badge is just a couple of pins in comparison. Good to know for future reference though!

How about door pin surrounds too Jim! I need one, but I've been outbid on the single one on ebay that is slightly damaged. Its at £8 odd + postage now, and I refuse to pay that for a single tiny plastic disc thats broken!

That was one of the other problems I came across Sean . The badge was simple to do , but the extra cost for the clips !!! . It's down to the moulding .

The plastic used in 3D printing is more brittle though iirc, which could possibly pose a problem. I'm in no way trying to put people off of this by the way guys, Jim did a fantastic job making a work round for this on the binnacle covers!

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys.

So in terms of the plastic, I would be looking at 3D printing. Am aware of the brittle nature of the material from the previous group buy I did however there's scope to strengthen the arms on these with additional material which I think would help. This is an avenue I can look into if the plastic is too brittle and breaks during fitting / removal.

In terms of the finish. Discussing this with several other CCGB folks this weekend at the NEC and it became apparent that unlike the rear Corrado badge, on the front badge (and you might find this if you look extremely closely) the silver finish is a thin, stuck on layer. You can actually see a small lip between it and the badge.

Thoughts on how to duplicate this have included making the badge have a very slight recess then a laser cut aluminium layer inserted / glued into the badge, or some kind of high quality finish from the 3D printers (who seem to have some kind of metalising process) or even some kind of transfer. Again I want to stress that unless it looks as good as the original, I won't be putting it into production. My intention is to get several 'blanks' made up and then I can approach various companies to see if they can put a suitable finish on the badge.

I will of course keep you all posted.

How about door pin surrounds too Jim! I need one, but I've been outbid on the single one on ebay that is slightly damaged. Its at £8 odd + postage now, and I refuse to pay that for a single tiny plastic disc thats broken!

Hadn't realised they were so in demand. I'd consider looking into those after this is all done, subject to demand.

Best of luck to you on this Jim , as Sean says , i was not trying to sink the idea , just listing the problems i came across . The 3D proccess sounds promising regarding the metal type finishing .

Best of luck to you on this Jim , as Sean says , i was not trying to sink the idea

No worries - didn't come across that way at all anyway :) I'm certainly not going to make out I'm some kind of expert having gone through the 3D printing process with a single piece of interior trim - there's a lot to learn it seems!

Best of luck Jim, group buy organising are for people who love punishment!!!

Does no company produce a sheet of brushed aluminium, that could be machine cut to fit a badge?

Here we go again... this is a massive and expensive task. If forum members are actually willing to pay £50 a badge and order "enough" I'm sure we can assist.

Thanks Mat - appreciate the offer to get involved, but I think I'd like to have a go at looking into this one myself. I may throw up the white flag though if my extremely limited experience means we could do with someone who has a lot more expertise in these matters.

Jim, I have been looking into getting the rear badges re-foiled in the original finish and have a few contacts regarding the material and actual foiling. Work commitments have slowed me down but I think I have someone who could potentially match the original brushed finish and I have someone who will do a 'test' foil for me.

The issue with the rear badges is that they are slightly rounded which would have been foiled by a rubber moulding, the front badges are flat which should make it easily possible. The test foil on a badge will be about £7 so maybe if you can get the badges made, I can pass on my findings and contacts for the foiling???

Excellent. My plan had been to make up a batch of prototype badges I could experiment with the finish on so that sounds like we could be onto a winner. I'll get in touch once we have progress with the badges themselves :)

No probs, fingers crossed. I away in Malaysia next week but when i get back I will send a sample badge to see if i can get a sample match on the brushed finish and want to get a test on the sample rear badge.

The silver finish on that badge is totally wrong unfortunately :(

Have you considered resin casting them with a silcone mould from the original? You should get a better surface finish and a lower cost parts.