andygal

VR6 Steering Column UJ Replacement

Hi,

I am looking to swap out my UJ on my 1994 VR6 as it has a bit of play in it. Could anyone tell me if it can be unbolted and popped out without removing the column or does the column need to come out to let you get the UJ out?

Thanks, Andy

I did remove my column when I did mine,as I was swapping the column to a fixed one

It's not a long job to drop the column,IIRC the UJ wasn't a five minute job ! Fiddly. comes to mind

you either need to remove the rack or column, I can't see you sliding the UJ off without one being moved out of the way as both connections are in fixed positions, bear in mind that if the column has never been out it will have shear bolts that can be a PITA to get off, irwins, drills, cold chisels, may be required!

I did one of these years ago on my 16v. Don't remember having to remove anything. I do remember that it nearly brought me to tears doing it though.

Thanks for the tips. I have done the rack on the car and can remember being able to pop it off that without too much bother but was a nightmare to get back on. Will have a look at the column and see how easy it is to remove and maybe do it that way. Considered doing the polo mod but nothing else is really needing replaced so will try this first.

Cheers, Andy