Dox

Golf R36 BiTurbo - giant killer

Mental!

Still beat the Gallardo after giving it a head start.

The 800hp AMG Merc is a good example of why too much torque and nanny state electronics = shyte progress. The Golf scalped it, and that wasn't weight related!

The one thing I regret about Worthersee was seeing an R36 twin turbo Corrado and not taking any pics or footage of it. The thing was insanely quick...

The one thing I regret about Worthersee was seeing an R36 twin turbo Corrado and not taking any pics or footage of it. The thing was insanely quick...

There must be some somewhere

My gut feeling tells me there's no way that Merc has the claimed 840BHP. Even if it had traction issues getting off the line I just don't think it'd have been scalped so badly by the Golf!

There must be some somewhere

You would have thought so wouldn't you Chris? But honestly it we saw it one night and didn't see it again, I've asked German, Dutch, Belgian and French scene queens on FB and no-one seems to have seen it or know anything about it. If I didn't have three mates who all saw it and remember it nearly ploughing into us I'd swear I dreamt it. I will give anyone £50* if they find anything out about it

*obviously I won't give anybody anything

impressive, but the golf is still the car i'd least like to own of the four!

My gut feeling tells me there's no way that Merc has the claimed 840BHP. Even if it had traction issues getting off the line I just don't think it'd have been scalped so badly by the Golf!

You'd be surprised. Not that weight has a huge bearing on cars that powerful - 1500 kg vs 1800 odd kg - but 4WD certainly does. And don't forget it's a HGP conversion, and DSG, so all the VW nanny state stuff will have been bypassed. You can just tell by the way it rips off the line. The Merc's electronics can't cope with that much grunt and I'd be surprised if the ECU gave the driver any more than 15% throttle just after he nailed it!!