Jamie

Sunroof Grease - these any good?

My father in law was just having a tidy up and gave me a big box of aerosols, glues, greases, lubricants etc and these two were in amongst the haul. Just wondered if they'd be ok for the sunroof? Both clear silicon grease anything else I should check before using them?

2438ED12-1D0E-4CA6-A69D-AFA3E67B0668.jpg

I'd also love to know what grease for the sunroof. About to put a moonroof in and want to lube up :) the silicone grease i got from Maplin is like treacle, don't dare use it to lube anything.

VW do a silicone grease in a tube which works very well on the sunroof guides, seat guides, rear spoiler mech....

Special lubricant for tilting sliding roofs

The only no I can see on the tube is

G 000 450 02

Yeah I know VW do a grease but as it's just under £1,000,000 a tube I'm looking for something that will do the job a bit cheaper

spray some of each grease on to a door hinge or other sliding surface, move it around and see if it lubricates well. Check that it doesn't attract any dust etc or gives a 'dry film' finish whilst still maintaining lubrication. That '100% silicone' spray sounds promising from the description.

In my papers VW say to use G00045002 for the sunroof but also to use D00700004 for almost anything that need to be lubricated, as window rollers, sun roof, seat rails etc...

Cant really find anything about that one :S

I also found that 3M, CRC, Liqui Moly.. they all make a Silicone grease... But I dont know if they are any good because you want a grease that doesnt attract particles and dust...

Edited by Wompa

Hi,

My sunroof is currently working perfectly and I'd like to keep it that way.

So, I went to VW today and they quoted about £30 for their Sunroof Grease (G00045002), as recommended by the Bentley Manual.

However, I can see some people on the forum recommend the Liqui Moly grease, which is about £8.

Can someone please confirm whether the VW product is actually worth an extra £22, or should I just buy the Liqui Moly?

Thanks,

I have used the Moly grease and it has been fine. The most important part was to ensure I cleaned off all the old grease and dirt that had accumulated b4 using this

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

having greased up my sunroof as far as possible i still get a 'creaking' sound on tilting (doesn't slide atm, but working on it!)  The problem is i cant see where the sound is coming from hence cant identify where to lube further.  That said, I've cleaned and lubed everything in sight, in fact when the cassette was out i moved it back and forth to ensure proper grease coverage.  It 'seems' to be inside the corrugated cable guide  but not sure.  Does anyone else get this and if so, what did you identify as the source?

Thanks

Hasan