sexybourbon

Chains and tensioners help please

after speaking to a few companys about chains and tensioners they havent got a clue what im on about when trying to explian i want to use the upgraded mk4 tensioner and rails ( if thats right )

Does any one have the part numbers of the bits i will need

Ideally im looking to replace all the parts that are needed plus anything else that should be done whilst im "in there"

I know i need a crank seal ? While iv got the box off is there any thing else worth doing ?

Any help would be great and part numbers so i can get it all ordered from tps would be spot on

Thanks in advance

Quite a list of parts at the end of the chain swap guide.

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/clutch_and_timing_chains_replacement_part_2.html

Tensioner Golf Mk4 top pad 021109509E

Bolt tensioner for Golf Mk4 top pad 021109507B

I would replace clutch fork, i didn't do mine and it ended up bending, I'd bought the part but for some reason decided not to fit it (twice) :lol:

Thanks jim i didnt know that was there !!

Ill take a read and get some stuff ordered

Is there anything else i should be replacing whilst in there doing the chains , iv got a new clutch to go on and a fresh fly wheel its more the little bits im not sure of

Release bearing. Are you paying someone to do it Matt? If not, get the proper sealant for the chain covers too.

New flywheel bolts, they are stretch bolts so will need to be replaced. Some people say don't bother they have never had any problems or to use some threadlock, others say replace everytime and have heard horror stories. Personally I have replaced them everytime I have taken the flywheel off, despite the fact I've had to remove a set that did precisely 0 miles after my r32 dilemma.

Be careful with sealant when you are refitting side cover, I saw one a few years back that had sealant piled on and the oil pickup was almost completely clogged up!

So the clutch fork and release bearing ill prive these bits up

And no sean im not doing it myself im no where near that kind of skill level unfortunetely, its been built by a very trust worthy friend so no daubts there , iv just picked up a 3 layer head gasket from stealth and he told me to use some sealent on certain parts of that where the water channels are in the head , cant remember the name of it its in the van bud

Cheers dave ill get them bits ordered , vince said to be carefull with the sealant aswell as it can cause bad stuff to happen so will be extra carefull with it !! What sealant did you use dave ?

I would replace clutch fork, i didn't do mine and it ended up bending, I'd bought the part but for some reason decided not to fit it (twice) :lol:

Jim - don't need to do any of this yet but like to be prepared - Clutch Fork is that an additional item that does not appear in the wiki parts list?

Jim - don't need to do any of this yet but like to be prepared - Clutch Fork is that an additional item that does not appear in the wiki parts list?

Its these bits

Spring clutch release arm retaining 12141741

Lever clutch release arm 02J141719B

Redborbet, is yours a NA VR or are you going turbo, reason i ask is i just built an engine and never looked too much into head gasket, i just bought a kit on here as someone happened to be selling it, was a victor reinz, single layer gasket, didn't feel like metal on the outside it was sort of glazed with rubber :lol: but felt like it had metal inside it.

I just worry now :lol:

I think im getting Corrado fever - don't really need to do anything on my car much (a few minor things) but keep reading these posts and despite my total lack of mechanical ability and knowledge I feel I want to do things to it...... arghhh stop me!

Its these bits

Spring clutch release arm retaining 12141741

Lever clutch release arm 02J141719B

Redborbet, is yours a NA VR or are you going turbo, reason i ask is i just built an engine and never looked too much into head gasket, i just bought a kit on here as someone happened to be selling it, was a victor reinz, single layer gasket, didn't feel like metal on the outside it was sort of glazed with rubber :lol: but felt like it had metal inside it.

I just worry now :lol:

Jim thanks for the clutch part numbers again very helpfull of you

No my head gasket is a three layer one off the mk4 golf its slightly thinner and makes more compression for a bit more power !! I hope , i picked it up from vinve at stealth this morning so if you want i can post the pic of it with the part number on it , its a victor rreinze one

Nah, i won't be changing mine any time soon now :lol: I did fit ARP studs though as i could see me having the head off again in the future.

Loctite 5910 you need for the cover plates. I think Halfords sell it actually.

You just need a thin layer but pay particular attention to the bottom corner of the head and the bottom cover. Do both sides of the gasket and put a reasonable amount on. That's a notorious leak spot.

Cheers kev ill go have a look if they stock it , what should i use on the head gasket if by any chance you know vince told me this morning and wrote it on a card but i think it may have fallen out of the gasket pack when i left as i cant find it !! My mond wants to say wellseal but i could be making that up !!

On the main head gasket? I used Permatex Copper gasket spray on my VR6 turbo back in the day, but Vince found this blue sh1t that works better, which could be this Wellseal you boys speak of :)

Another thing to consider if you are considering a turbo in any point in the future is arp head bolts, I kick myself for not putting them when I rebuilt mine last time.

I was only going to use vw bolts and they were something like £170. Managed to get some unused 2nd hand arps.

Told you it was on here Matty!!

Im not lazy stop picking on me !!

Iv started getting my list together now and ill ring tps tomorrow and get all the part numbers sorted so i can send them all to you fuzz