Hairyarse

Chopped-in my 2.0 16v Corrado today...

...oh and I've swapped the rear inner lights over from my white one on Friday. The ones on the car had been sprayed to tint them - I assume the start of a process to match them to the red outers that Sam kindly gave me with the car? However, they were at a stage where the indicators just looked darker orange than the outers, so wanted to get them matching :thumbleft:

So today I managed to get the VR on the ramp at my MOT station opposite. I wasn't expecting any nasty surprises underneath, and sure enough there weren't any! :thumbleft:

There were a couple of minor issues to sort. Firstly, I had noticed if you weren't super-smooth with gear changes there was a bit of a knock, so expected engine mounts to be worn. However, found that one of the bolts on the front mount is missing so guess this is the reason. I've ordered new ones from my VW dealer. It's £3 each but at least I know the size is right!

2015-01-19121306_zpsed84975a.jpg

You may notice above - and certainly in the pic below the second issue - oil drips;

2015-01-19121253_zps08def301.jpg

I've not had a good nose around yet but so far can't see exactly where it's coming from. I thought I'd check on here if it's a common leak point on VRs or not?

Any tips on that are appreciated ;)

Oil leaks around that area are common. Best bet is to clean it all up, then check again. Looks to be oil cooler seals, but the oil temp sensors and filter housing adjacent to the cooler are also common failure points mate.

Ah thanks for that Sean. It does look like it's coming from the cooler as couldn't see anything from the top, but don't know the common weak points on these yet :)

See you've got the right colour this time [cough COPYCAT cough]

Haha, I was waiting for you to notice John :) All I need now is the red B3 and my cloning process is complete!! :cool:

Not an exciting update, or any pics, but....

- I think I've sorted the coolant leak that suddenly appeared. Looks like a jubilee clip needed tightening on the thermostat housing

- Fixed my rear number plate lights - one of the wires had detached from the bulb holder

- Sorted some rattly trim, inside under the rear window as the main end clips that screw on were broke. The car isn't rattle free yet but it's a step in the right direction!

So, boring update but I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself now! :cool:

Steps in the right direction though mate. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh at some point.

You making the VR6OC rolling road day on 1st March?

Not an exciting update, or any pics, but....

- I think I've sorted the coolant leak that suddenly appeared. Looks like a jubilee clip needed tightening on the thermostat housing

- Fixed my rear number plate lights - one of the wires had detached from the bulb holder

- Sorted some rattly trim, inside under the rear window as the main end clips that screw on were broke. The car isn't rattle free yet but it's a step in the right direction!

So, boring update but I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself now! :cool:

Dont underestimate these things - they make all the difference. Glad you're getting them sorted.

Steps in the right direction though mate. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh at some point.

You making the VR6OC rolling road day on 1st March?

Hopefully so, not 100% yet but don't see why not

Dont underestimate these things - they make all the difference. Glad you're getting them sorted.

Cheers Hasan. Whilst my white valver was tatty on the outside it rattled a lot less than this one. If I can achieve rattle/squeak free-ness Ill be a happy man! lol

Well I'm rather glad I purchased the crack pipe kit and thermostat kit that someone posted up on here the other day. I thought I'd get it for a rainy day, given my slow coolant loss. Well that rainy day has arrived as there's a big wet patch on the drive under my car now!! :p

I've just watched a crack pipe replacement video on Youtube and it all looks fairly straight forward. I just wanted to double check, is the removal of the oil filter housing necessary? - and if so I take it that will just be with a minimal oil loss as I don't need an oil and filter change as they've not long been done.

Any advice is appreciated, I'll have to tackle this tomorrow now.

Many thanks! ;)

Still loving the colour Andy.....think it may be my new favourite colour for a rado 😍

You shouldnt have to take of the housing bud its only one pipe running across the front of the engine you should just be able to remove the old one and fit the new one , are you sure your video didnt say remove the thermo housing ? As thats the bit that will " trap " the pipe in when the bolts are all tightend up

Thanks for the comments chaps - I did read them but hadn't had time to reply yet!!

Yes the video did show removing the thermo housing - in actual fact he removes way more than necessary although in part I think it's down to his oil cooler pipe having snapped off his crack pipe. I didn't remove the filter housing or oil cooler.

Anyway - on to today and mixed feelings about the kit bought off ebay to be honest. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220505500573?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Only yesterday I saw on a Facebook group Topran parts getting a slating for being bad quality and I didn't think this kit looked bad at all when it arrived. But, here's my saga.

Stripping out was dead simple - the only grief was the fact that the pipe clip for the oil cooler hose was facing the wrong way. I managed to release it enough to spin it around and then the garage opposite mine came to the rescue with this rather nifty tool!

IMAG1473_zpsxdriknr8.jpg

This made life so much easier - I must get one!

A short while later my old housing was off;

IMAG1472_zpsmunnll4o.jpg

After assembling the new housing, fitting the sensors and having a general clean around this area of the engine and re-taping some of the loom, I installed the new kit. All went together easily. I did notice that the thermostat that came out of my C was rated at 87 degrees, whereas the new one was 80 - which according to the Bentley Bible is correct.

Once back together, I filled up with coolant - at which point I noticed coolant dripping on the floor. It looked like it was coming from the crack pipe where it pushed in to the thermo housing. Grrrr!! Like a fool I had put the coil pack back on and everything else, so on I went with the strip down again.

Sure enough, after a bit of faffing around and testing by squirting coolant in to the pipes, it was the crack pipe/thermo housing joint at fault.

What I found is that the new one in the kit appears to be too large in diameter! This is the offending part;

IMAG1475_zpsgqjsoos8.jpg

If I fitted this on to the end of the old crack pipe I could hold the crack pipe up and this elbow stayed in place. If I did the same with the new one it just fell off. So, the old elbow was put on to the new thermo housing. All was put back together, topped up with coolant and no more leaks! (Yay!)

The other issue I found is that the coolant drain on the crack pipe was difficult to stop it from dripping coolant. After a little messing about it seemed a case of unscrew it until coolant came out, then slowly tighten until it stopped - and keep checking. There just seems to be a sweet spot where it doesn't leak, as opposed to where it feels nipped up correctly, if that makes sense?!

Anyway, job done but was most of the day wasted on this which is frustrating. Hopefully no more leaks now. I'll find out tomorrow as have to go to Uttoxeter. Spare coolant is in the car with me!

I hope that the above helps for anyone who has bought this kit and not fitted yet or is planning to buy and hopefully you can avoid these issues :thumbleft:

Edited by Hairyarse

This last week as well as the C getting a well needed cleaning inside and out, I replaced the stereo. I really quite liked the more period correct one that was installed and sound quality was good too;

IMAG1664_zpsiv4o0m29.jpg

However, with no AUX, USB etc I was missing playing the music from my phone or iPod. So, when I was in my motor factors the other day and saw this for fifty notes, voilà! ;

IMAG1666_zpskiewqjzf.jpg

For the money it's a great little unit. Has Bluetooth, hands-free calling and behind the flap an SD card slot, USB and AUX. Sadly the backlighting is blue not green but it doesn't look too out of place. I'm rather pleased with it - I just need to wipe the finger prints off the front! lol

Today I shot down to Wiltshire to pick up a spangley set of gold Speedlines from Chris (V-Dubstar.)

I was mostly interested in the new tyres however I don't think the gold looks too bad at all - I think they'll be staying!

The tyres are slightly smaller than my old ones - I've gone from 205/50 down to 195/50 now. Perhaps even more reason to lower the car a little!

IMAG1752_zpswsaxbzbg.jpg

IMAG1753_zpsw4uwgexv.jpg

The fresher tyres seem to have helped my trim rattle woes a little - just a little though! lol

Thanks again Chris - great to meet you :thumbleft:

That is a stunning colour! Not the gold for me though.

I think the gold is Marmite! :thumbleft:

The C is crying out for a B12 kit now I think ;)

Well a little unexpected, but I'll soon be saying goodbye to the C :bonk: It's come about quickly, but I've been lured by a diesel BMW - with slightly better MPG (I hope!) and the prospect of being able to tow a trailer, which would be a real bonus for my business now to help move it forward. So it's been a (slightly!) sensible choice.

So, I'll be getting the C as minty-fresh as I can and sort the few minor niggles it has before putting it up for sale :(

One question, it's always had a small oil weep from somewhere near to the oil cooler - I suspect from this. Is there an off the shelf kit for renewing the seals on the cooler or do you have to just buy each seal separately? (assuming there's more than one?)

I'm now in final preparations of getting the C ready for sale ( :( ) - done all the usual like wash, clay, mop, wax etc but I've also at last got around to fitting the new under bonnet foam kit. It took less than 10 minutes to get the foam off, but another 1.5 hours to get the glue off! lol

Anyway, here's some before, during and after shots. Needless to say I'm very happy with the foam, it's excellent quality but with the backing being so sticky (which is great)you really have to get it placed right first time!

IMAG1876_zpsup33nu1q.jpg

IMAG1879_zpsaieep9pv.jpg

IMAG1881_zpsvjwylgwx.jpg

IMAG1903_zpsjabtqslo.jpg

There's just a couple of hours left to put in the car and then it will be ready for sale.