Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Brake change advice (brakes now done)

I'll be fitting my 280mm brakes this coming weekend and need some advice.

1. The countersunk screw that holds the brake disc in place seems to be missing on my old discs. Where can I pick a couple up from, is it a dealer item?

2. I'll be changing the calipers as well, do I need to use lock tight when screwing the brake pipe into the new caliper?

Cheers for any help.

I'll be fitting my 280mm brakes this coming weekend and need some advice.

1. The countersunk screw that holds the brake disc in place seems to be missing on my old discs. Where can I pick a couple up from, is it a dealer item?

2. I'll be changing the calipers as well, do I need to use lock tight when screwing the brake pipe into the new caliper?

Cheers for any help.

Dealers should have the screws, GSF/Euro may do too. They might be missing due to shearing off previously. If so just make sure the broken bit sits under the hole in the disc. If you dont the disc may not sit right on the hub and you'll get a warped disc feel in the brakes.

No need to loctite the pipes in. Assuming you do them tight enough not to leak, they won't come undone.

Gavin

yup... none of my last 4 cars have had the screws in as they always strip the heads when you try to take 'em out in my experience.... :?

Just one other thing.......I bought a set of Pagid brake pads from GSF and these have some sort of special pad on the back, is it an anti-squeel pad? If so I don't need to apply copper grease? Yes/No?

Cheers

I always put some copperslip on anyway. Imagine not doing it and getting a sqeak, then having to do the job over :roll:

Gavin

Ok I have now put my 280mm brakes on and before bedding them in they feel loads better. I drained about 1 litre of brake fluid from front and rear and replaced with DOT 5.1 fluid. The disc retaining screws had already sheared off so had to leave them off. Carrier bolts were a bit of a pig to undo!

Just want to say a BIG thanks to all who gave advice......saved me at least £50.

If anyone can advise me how to bleed the clutch as I didn't do this. I guess it's the same as the brakes but do you have to return the pedal by hand?

Cheers chaps

Dave

yup, that's how you do the clutch.... 8)

Don't try and use a self bleed kit, it won't work... you need somebody to move the pedal up and down as you open and close the nipple on the clutch slave... don't worry about it feeling a bit spongy or not returning as you first use it, just sit and pump the pedal a few times before you try to drive anywhere as it'll self bleed the master cylinder once you've done the slave... 8)

Good luck... 8)

P.s. It's nice to hear that you've managed to do a job and save money thanks to people on the forum... 8)