escrime

Newbie with a silver valver

Hey guys,

I've been reading up on the forum for the last year. Bought my 9A Corrado in December 2013.

I am pretty happy with the car so far. It has the late style interior and in general has been well taken care of.

In the last year I mostly did general maintenance - suspension, brakes, belts and pulleys, alternator, AC, oil, filters and so on.

I also fitted a Passat glass sunroof.

I hope to have it resprayed by March and I will be running 16" Azev A's this summer.

The car is currently sitting on FK coilovers, but I plan to bin them, as the right rear one is gone, and in general it's too harsh for the roads over here.

I am looking for advice on suspension with a drop of 40-50 mm. and maximum comfort.

To-do list:

1. Full respray in original color - hopefully next month the car will go in

2. ABF camshafts - bought

3. Sell Porsche wheels and respray Azevs

4. Scrap FK coilovers for a setup with more comfort

Wishlist:

1. Spoonfed extended spoiler

2. Left-side fog - this has turned out to be a PITA

3. Original grill with badge

Here are some pics of the car.

Cheers from Bulgaria!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80515[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80519[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80520[/ATTACH]

Welcome! - Looks good in Silver, don't see many around?

Like the picture with the MIG(?) in the background. Perhaps start a wanted thread on here for a Fog Light and OE Grille, I'm pretty sure somebody could help you.

Ian.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :thumb right:

I do believe the plane in the picture is (was at some point, before becoming a statue) a MIG-19.

Bulgaria's air-force is still mostly flying Russian planes.

I'll post a thread in the 'Wanted' section, but first... there's the matter of 6 posts outside of the classifieds. :salute:

The colour is satin silver (LB7Z). If I'm not mistaken, diamond silver was available only with the early Corrados.

In all honesty I didn't want to buy a silver car. I really don't like the colour, but this shade has grown on me. Also I was tired of looking at cars after over a year of searching.

Turns out it's also one of the rare colours for a Corrado.

I really need advice on the suspension. FK have posted some crazy low prices on their site.

Is the Power High Tech suspension (40mm drop) comfier than their mid-range coils?

What about their springs with 40 mm drop?

I am after more comfort, because on the coilovers the car bounces a lot and there's a lound bang each time on a (not-so) scary bump/dip in the road (quick compression).

I hope this makes sense... :scratch:

EDIT: Forgot to ask... Has anyone tried these mirrors? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390617552429?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I ordered a couple, so that a friend in Aberdeenshire could pick them up. Mail lost them. Seller sent a second pair, but they never arrived. :(

Edited by escrime

EDIT: Forgot to ask... Has anyone tried these mirrors? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390617552429?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I ordered a couple. Mail lost them. Seller sent a second pair, but they never arrived. :(

Yes, I have those on mine - They are like a MK4 Golf mirror. They are OK for the price, could do with being slightly larger to "fill" the housing and they had a habit of coming loose so ended up fixing them with double sided pads.

Ian.

Welcome to the forum! Your Corrado looks great.

I say it every time, but I love seeing where these cars spring up in the world! Don't think we have many Bulgarian Corrado owners, so welcome!

Thanks guys.

There are Corrado fans in Bulgaria, and although they are not many, there are some very, very nice cars.

Mine's not the prettiest, and it's most definitely not the fastest... but I like it.

Don't know where my previous reply in the thread went. :scratch:

I think I got my mirrors from them although not 100% as they didn't come with an invoice. Same background on the photo though. Mine arrived quickly and apart from using my old backing plate so having to get the dremel out as pins are in a different position, the fit is perfect.

Welcome.

I agree, that looks lovely in silver :cool: Your heater panel lights work well - nice and bright. Have you fitted LEDs?

Interior LEDs were fitted by the first owner of the car here in Bulgaria. The dash lighting is also blue LED, as are all buttons and the heater panel.

I was looking for a car which is as stock as possible, but actually that's a nice upgrade.

Can't help with a DIY instruction though, as I didn't do it.

GlosterOx, seanl82, thanks a lot for the input. I think I'll try to have these mirrors shipped once again. My left one has started fading, and the right one got cracked.

Since there's interest and tolerance to newbies, I think I'll try to take maximum advantage of it, so here are some more noob questions. :o

1. I read that the suspension (shocks and springs) is the same as Golf MK2/3. Is this true?

2. I've bought camshafts from an ABF and will have them installed. Can someone post dyno result of a stock 9A with ABF cams? I think I know what to expect, but still.

3. Has anyone had their plastic trim surrounding the steering column break? Any suggestions on repairs or a way to make Golf ones fit? :scratch:

Since there's interest and tolerance to newbies, I think I'll try to take maximum advantage of it, so here are some more noob questions. :o

1. I read that the suspension (shocks and springs) is the same as Golf MK2/3. Is this true?

2. I've bought camshafts from an ABF and will have them installed. Can someone post dyno result of a stock 9A with ABF cams? I think I know what to expect, but still.

3. Has anyone had their plastic trim surrounding the steering column break? Any suggestions on repairs or a way to make Golf ones fit? :scratch:

Lots of helpful people on here m8, a friendly bunch in the main & as Jim said we like to see where our lovely rado's pop up :D

In answer to your questions:

1. - Im not 100% but I don't believe so. I do however think I recall that all flavours of rado use the same suspension setup. There is a huge suspension thread on here, its worth a read. In essence though you really do get what you pay for with suspension. If I had the money I would upgrade the KWV1's on my VR to the V3's & then put the V1's on my valver

2. - Unsure on the cams for a 9A. I think it is a popular upgrade though so a search through the members gallery section might bring you up some dyno's etc

3. - Ive not heard of this before. Rather than a golf one try the breakers section on here, or put a wanted post up, & someone may have a proper one you could purchase

hope that helps m8

Normal upgrade cam wise for the 9a is the earlier KR cams, however I think from memory that the ABF have more lift - I'm sure people have fitted them with good results, especially with a ported/polished cylinder head.

Ian.

Thanks for the input guys.

I've read most of the huge suspension thread. I was offered a set of H&R struts and springs, which came off a Golf, so I'll do some more research.

The knowledge base here is amazing and actually I've read a lot.

Just asking once again to see if I've missed something important.

I would put up wanted ad for the plastics surrounding the steering column, but RHD ones won't suit me. :)