Daveproyoyoyo

288mm calipers & carriers and rear MK4 Golf Calipers wanted

Going to upgrade the brakes soon so looking for 288mm front and MK4 Golf rear calipers and carriers. The better condition the better but will be getting a refurb anyone so not too fussy.

Cheers.

Dave

Hi Dave my mate has some available I will give him a shout

If you buy the fronts off someone else I have a set of mk4 rear callipers

Edited by lilfuzzer

You need to use your existing rear carriers with MK4 rear calipers (MK4 carriers have the wrong offset)

Just had confirmtion my mate has 288 front callipers carriers discs and rear mk4 calipers with discs he is back friday and a member on here so have gave him the heads up

While we are on this subject can I confirm something as im doing mine soon

1. Back brakes- I just need callipers and new hoses as carriers fit - do I need new pads too or do these fit the MK4 callipers?

2. Front Brakes - I have callipers and carriers (MK3) for 288 conversion - do I just need to get 288 discs, MK3 pads and hose conversions - anything else?

Any suggestions on reasonable (not too expensive) discs and pads for the front conversion?

Thanks all

Chuggs,

the rears just need hoses

Fronts - yes you need discs pads and hoses. I took an old hose to gsf and got the ones most similar in length.

Thanks Fla - that's great

Amy advice on makes of discs and pads for front or best to just go for Pagid or brembo? Any aport numbers or links anyone?! Don't need anything major as not going to be throwing it around too much - just thought I wold do the front at same time as the back - which are making a horrible sound when reversing so need doing!

Thanks again

Tbh the groaning sound from the back brakes seems to be a design fault! I think a few have gone the whole hog and replaced everything down to the bearings without success. One theory is the wear direction of the pads so it could be worth trying to turn them over.

Thanks Fla - that's great

Amy advice on makes of discs and pads for front or best to just go for Pagid or brembo? Any aport numbers or links anyone?! Don't need anything major as not going to be throwing it around too much - just thought I wold do the front at same time as the back - which are making a horrible sound when reversing so need doing!

Thanks again

i found that the genuine VW discs & pads on the rear were absolutely awful! they used to make me embarrassed to reverse they noise was so awful.

my mechanic said it was due to the rear face of the pad being at a 90 degree to the disc & was not factory chamfered. only really way of fixing it would be to remove the pads & grind a chamfer on to it......or do as i did & put up with it & then throw the junk in the bin to be replaced with something made properly

plus i found the wear rate shockingly bad too. the discs & pads were put on at the same time & the disc barely lasted as long as the pad

Looks like the Brembo rear pads are already chamfered so may buy a set of these and some discs - will probably get the same for front too.

Just need to check all the parts / part numbers and make sure I get the right ones

BD04BCDD-B8B4-45E8-A59F-EE37EB9344B7.jpg

Dave, as Fuzz mentioned I have a full set up that's no longer required.

Give me a ring if you're interested as I could do with the space!

Mark