AngusL

Brake position sensor needed

Hi guys,

Just got a Vag com up and running and have a recurring Brake position sensor failure 00793 G100. It's for a 1995 Vr6 corrado fitting.

Anyone got a working one lying around that I can buy

Regards

Angus

I believe DG Autotech refurbish them if you're in no rush. They are obsolete now but DG offer them with a lifetime warranty iirc.

Hi Sean,

I read many good things about DGAutotech on the forum I tried to call them today but got an unrecognised number response using their number on the web site 01299 253373. I have sent them an email but not heard from them yet.

Fingers crossed they get back to me otherwise it's a diy job I have not removed the old unit yet so don't know what's involved.

Thanks for the info always appreciated.

This Vag Com is the bees nads.

In the meantime the shout is still out there for a working replacement if anyone has one it may save me some time.

Regards

It's just a circlip holding it in place. 5 minute job to replace no bother. From what I understand, nothing actually breaks on them, it's just a potentiometer inside giving variable resistance based on the position of the piston. I think to refurbish them it's just a case of re-soldering dry joints. I don't know how to disassemble the unit though as I've not looked, but imagine it's a simple procedure. Worth a try whatever the outcome I reckon.

Edited by seanl82

Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses - Lilfuzzer if you could confirm if you have one that would be much appreciated.

Sean you have convinced me I understand what you are describing as a variable potentiometer it sounds like a shaft or rod driven item based on the pedal position... Ok I will take a look at it this weekend I will happily strip it and if possible repair it myself.. Do you remember the old scalextric controllers similar principle right....

I will report back afterwards and try and take some pics for anyone else who may be facing a similar issue.

Cheers All

It's just a circlip holding it in place. 5 minute job to replace no bother. From what I understand, nothing actually breaks on them, it's just a potentiometer inside giving variable resistance based on the position of the piston. I think to refurbish them it's just a case of re-soldering dry joints. I don't know how to disassemble the unit though as I've not looked, but imagine it's a simple procedure. Worth a try whatever the outcome I reckon.

Where is this sensor? Is it used in teves20 setup?

I may of already asked this before.

oh, right, so i've probably ditched mine (iirc someone said i don't need it), i guess the switch on the pedal just does the brake light or something

Yes Jim the brake pedal sensor is in the brake vaccum servo as Kevin said and feeds brake pedal position signals to the ABS. Without the signal No ABS as it turns off. And annoyingly switches on the ABS light just what you need for a 3 hour drive.

Its like sunshine in the dashboard

Seems to be a common problem on the forum.

Based on my previous wiring issues it wouldn't surprise me if it is a dodgy connection in the wiring. This weekend it's going to get another looking at.

A quick update - Took the brake position sensor out and stripped it down today. 2 contacts between the plug and the board had separated - I understand that this is a common problem with these.

Its an easy fix if you can wield a soldering iron. After reassembly took the car on a very quiet road and tested the brakes over large manholes and ABS is working well and the ABS error light is remaining off. No errors on the vag com either afterwards.