Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

Who needs a Shrick???

The Moonlight Blue VR6 was treated to an AMD re-map today.

Despite the "warm" conditions in the rolling road bay, the after figures came out at:

209.3BHP @ 5668RPM

205.3LBFT @ 4291RPM

Woo-Hoo!!!

:D

Good results there, one thing ive been curious about though, why didnt you just swap the schrick and stuff over from the black vr to the blue one?

Didn't want to butcher the bonnet, plus the re-mapped ECU was an earlier type than the one on the blue VR6 and will not fit without changing the loom as well.

So, too much hassle...

Doesn't look like he needed too!

The torque is a lot higher up the range than with a Shrick though, which is it's main purpose - to move it further down.

What were the figures before the remap?

220.3BHP @ 5668RPM

230.3LBFT @ 3600RPM

;)

Doesn't look like he needed too!

The torque is a lot higher up the range than with a Shrick though, which is it's main purpose - to move it further down.

Is there any way of modifying the manifold to behave like a shrick low down, I know thats a sacrifice at the top end buy hey if your in town all the time, thats no great loss.

Got my storm remapped at AMD last Friday. Here are the figures:

BHP:

Before - 191.4@5785

After - 206.5@5706

Torque:

Before - 183.5 @ 4235

After - 203.2@4366

Feels a lot nicer to drive now :)

Mine was making 196.4bhp and 190.5lbft before the remap.

You can modify your VR6 to give more low-down torque - just fit a Golf inlet manifold.

In the meantime, I plan to enjoy the way it now makes more torque from 3.5-5.75krpm than it used to make as a peak value... :D

Moonlight blue vr6s always have high power outputs :D

Helps if they happen to have superchargers bolted onto them eh? :D

Mine was making 196.4bhp and 190.5lbft before the remap.

You can modify your VR6 to give more low-down torque - just fit a Golf inlet manifold.

In the meantime, I plan to enjoy the way it now makes more torque from 3.5-5.75krpm than it used to make as a peak value... :D

I'm in the fortunate position where I have both manifolds to choose from any down sides to using this?

How much is an AMD remap- Is AMD the place where you get it done or the chip that you change? Sorry to sound daft, its just the thought of having an extra 20bhp under my right foot is kinda tempting :wink:

How much is an AMD remap- Is AMD the place where you get it done or the chip that you change? Sorry to sound daft, its just the thought of having an extra 20bhp under my right foot is kinda tempting :wink:

20bhp from a re-map :shock: , pull the other one.. bit of creative use of the rolling road and it's software me thinks.

David.

They've 'geared' the dyno to be 1.3 x wheel speed, nah, not really :lol:

My proof is this..... My 16V Turbo engine was built by stealth and dyno'd at AmD because Vince didn't have rollers back then. The fresh build on 95 unleaded and safe, retarded ignition gave 221bhp on AmD's rollers.

Same engine, same tune a year later on Stealth's rollers, 195bhp. Engines built by Graham don't lose 26hp in a year.

I then added water injection and cranked up the advance and got a best figure of 212bhp on Stealth's rollers, still way off AmD's figure.

How can a VR enter with 190 brake and leave with 20 more without some 'creative' calculations? A chip alone just cannot liberate that much extra power and if it does, then VW should be brought to task for limiting the standard ECU so much.

K

I can see your point Kev from your difference between 2 companies rollers. But I cant see how they can tweak the rollers on the same day with the same car and just a chips difference. Unless they have a tweaking knob round the back......but thats not going to happen at AMD is it. These guys have a reputation to behold.

I think you should retract you aligation of creative calculations, your proof does not add up in that instance.

I'm not trying to kick up a fight, and i have no connection or have had any work done at AMD as yet.

My mates R32 was fitted with a milltek exhaust and remapped my AMD, it put out 307BHP on Well lanes rollers o the same day my vr6 did 207.

I can see your point Kev from your difference between 2 companies rollers. But I cant see how they can tweak the rollers on the same day with the same car and just a chips difference. Unless they have a tweaking knob round the back......but thats not going to happen at AMD is it. These guys have a reputation to behold.

I think you should retract you aligation of creative calculations, your proof does not add up in that instance.

I'm not trying to kick up a fight, and i have no connection or have had any work done at AMD as yet.

No I'm not retracting my allegation. What more proof do you need ? Do the figures not seem like fantasy to you?

If they're in the market for chipping, which is now their main bread winner, they're not going to get many customers paying £350+VAT for a 3hp increase, are they?

I have my doubts and so do a few other people I know. If you want to arrange a controlled experiment at AmD with some external adjudicators, then I'll come along and watch.

If you notice there's always a fudge factor on a rolling road run. The only thing they can really *measure* is the rate of speed increase of the rollers. This, given the known mass and therefore rotational inertia of the roller, allows you to calculate the force applied to the roller, i.e. lbft. This can be extrapolated back to the crank power output only after you've tried to measure the nebulous "drivetrain loss".. All you've gotta do is increase the friction in the "measuring drivetrain loss" stage and you can throw the calculated crank hp way up.

Please note - I know nothing about AMD's rollers, and am not trying to say this is what they are doing - I'm just explaining how it works, so that you can make your own minds up.

As a comparison an r32 goes into amd with 240 hp and comes out with 270 hp courtesy of a chip and exhaust.

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: 30hp from a chip and non standard exhaust on a recently designed engine and management system... let me think... bollox!

suits the company that is selling the chips though, and gives the owner plenty of pub talk ammo... so guess what.. everyone goes home happy. If it took VW 10 years and a 24v variable inlet/variable valve timing 3.2L engine to go from a 2.9 VR6 190bhp to a 240bhp R32 why didn't they just ask AMD first! ...could have done it in less than 2hrs with a chip and crap aftermarket exhaust no doubt :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hang on, I think I can better that, what about the 1000hp skyline they had in Max power a few years back, how the cluck did they arrive at that figure!

As a comparison an r32 goes into amd with 240 hp and comes out with 270 hp courtesy of a chip and exhaust.

Oh, one other thing, I had my old KR block on AMD's rollers and Stealths rollers within a few weeks of each other and the result: virtually identical power and torque curves, it was just that the AMD ones were significantly further up the page on the graph, funny cause I had my tyre pressures the same, and ran both days on Optimax and had only put a few miles on the clock between runs. Perhaps it was the extra weight of a full fuel tank that slowed me down on Stealths rollers, I find that affects performance no end :lol:

The 3.2 engine is rated at 250hp in the audi tt, so the ecu must be held back quite a bit in the golf so a 20+ hp increase is not inconceivable with the right chip tuning.