Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

Who needs a Shrick???

Yup. I wonder also if the "145 mph" figure might not be just a bit pessimistic. Given that the power requirements for an extra 3 mph is another 10bhp, it wouldn't surprise me if most VR6s that left the factory were capable of 148mph or slightly more - which would require 155-160bhp at the wheels, thereby making up the difference.

Joe, Matt, I took my VR up to that speed when it was *standard*, and believe me, at an indicated 145mph, it didn't want to stop pulling. My speedo has been GPS confirmed as being 4 mph optimistic at all speeds.

Just goes to show, theorising is one thing, real life is another.

K

You've clearly got a private race track, Kev... ;)

Perhaps VW just didn't have the guts to admit that it was skimming 150mph? They didn't wanna upset BMW? ;)

Trust me, the VR is a genuine 150mph car, just look at the shape of it and the anti-lift spoiler :wink:

It's a curious beast. As standard it feels somewhat lacking in the lower gears, but by god does it want to rip a hole in the horizon once you get it past 4000 rpm in 4th and 5th.

Private track? Pah...who needs em when you've got a deserted A14 at 4am :wink:

I used to think they built the A14 just for me.

For about the first 6 months after they built it I'd tank along it most weekends in a knackered old cavalier (one of many) with just the horizon for company...

;)

LOL, I max'd my 2.0 GLi (low compression version) out at an indicated 128mph on the A14.... what a heap that was.

Anyway, that was OT!

K

LOL, I max'd my 2.0 GLi (low compression version) out at an indicated 128mph on the A14.... what a heap that was.

Anyway, that was OT!

K

years back I was overtaken by an A8 on the A14 at 1am in the morning, I was doing a steady 120 and he flew past like I was standing still... must have been late for a drugs pick-up or something, was black tints standard equipment on those things? :)

My mates R32 was fitted with a milltek exhaust and remapped my AMD, it put out 307BHP on Well lanes rollers o the same day my vr6 did 207.

yes but well lanes rollers are notoriously innacurate.

before and after figures are only really useful for comparison on same day, same conditions, same rollers really. otherwuise too many factors come into play.

20bhp tho sounding a lot isnt actually unfeasable, dont forget we r talking about a car with nigh on 200bhp to start with, so its only 10% ish. Play with the fuelling and timing and yeah i can see a 10% gain is within the realms of possibility, especially when u factor in that the car is already most likely running non standard inlet (air filter) and exhaust which is allowed for in the cusotm mapping. its when u get idiots with saxo vtr's etc claiming large gains u wanna be really worried.

Trust me, the VR is a genuine 150mph car, just look at the shape of it and the anti-lift spoiler :wink:

It's a curious beast. As standard it feels somewhat lacking in the lower gears, but by god does it want to rip a hole in the horizon once you get it past 4000 rpm in 4th and 5th.

Private track? Pah...who needs em when you've got a deserted A14 at 4am :wink:

i saw an indicated 150 this evening on my private track, car was still pulling too albeit not quickly

as for dubsprots rollers...don't forget my standard 8v put out 137.6 BHP there earlier this year....... :roll:

Talking with the owner of dubsport on that day he mentioned some interesting facts about their Sun rollers:

i. when they were first installed they were producing very low crank HP figures for stock ("benchmark") cars.

ii. on several re-visits Sun checked them and pronounced them as 100% accurate.

iii. when he threatened to have them ripped out and sent back to Sun they came back, fiddled with the software and low and behold the crank HP figures went up!

iv. the rollers cost around £25k - he's got to recoup his investment by pulling punters in and sending them away with nice graphs and BIG figures . :-)

read into that what you will ;-)