Roger Chatfield

Getting stuff from the States, opinions please.

Afternoon chums,

Here is a dilemma for you.

I want a set of these for Stormy.

http://www.spturbo.com/onlinestore/index.php/volkswagen/vr6/12-valve/cylinder-head-valvetrain-parts/12v-vr6-camshaft-set-263-street.html

However the company charge a small fortune to ship to the UK... so....

I've got a few other options... we (the family) are actually in the States on holiday in July, I could maybe get a set delivered to my hotel and then simply stash them in our luggage.... I'm not of the legality of this and if I'm actually saving anything as I'll have to pay the excess baggage weight.

The other option, I have a friend in Florida who I have got some CRX bits for in the past, I could ask him to have the cams delivered to his house and then ship them on to me, I could get him to devalue the package and state that they are 2nd hand parts, that hopefully should avoid the dreaded customs tax but yet again I'm sure of the legality and the shipping costs etc.

Opinions and advice please friends.

Rog.

Afternoon chums,

Here is a dilemma for you.

I want a set of these for Stormy.

http://www.spturbo.com/onlinestore/index.php/volkswagen/vr6/12-valve/cylinder-head-valvetrain-parts/12v-vr6-camshaft-set-263-street.html

However the company charge a small fortune to ship to the UK... so....

I've got a few other options... we (the family) are actually in the States on holiday in July, I could maybe get a set delivered to my hotel and then simply stash them in our luggage.... I'm not of the legality of this and if I'm actually saving anything as I'll have to pay the excess baggage weight.

The other option, I have a friend in Florida who I have got some CRX bits for in the past, I could ask him to have the cams delivered to his house and then ship them on to me, I could get him to devalue the package and state that they are 2nd hand parts, that hopefully should avoid the dreaded customs tax but yet again I'm sure of the legality and the shipping costs etc.

Opinions and advice please friends.

Rog.

Put them in your suitcase and bring them 2nd hand bits home with you. A mate of mine once brought 10 or so motorcycle steering dampers back with him from the states to sell here as at a profit.

I don't think there's any confusion - if you're getting someone to ship them on to you and declare them as a gift or to declare their value as something like $100, then you're avoiding tax which you know you need to pay.

So either you risk it (and it is extremely unlikely to get caught) or pay up :)

In terms of carrying them back in your luggage, there is actually an allowance of stuff you're allowed to bring back from a holiday that you do not need to declare. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu

Specifically "Allowance for other goods". Assuming the surplus baggage weight isn't a major issue, this would be the most sensible option I think :)

I brought a full gearbox and drive shafts back once lol well I tried lol I went to the airport the day before to see about paying extra to bring it with me but it was mad money so called to ups and had them ship it and as it was sent from me to me I paid jack all duty. It was cheap to send too and that shocked me. And it was from LA

Bag it. I brought half a case of goodies back when I went to California. While you are at it fancy picking up one of their hi flow water pumps? ;)