Jamie

Rear Tow Eye Delete

Anyone who's done this - did you just make a blanking plug for the aperture and weld that, or cut the section out and weld a whole new section?

Mine isn't completed yet but I did this by using fibre glass and resin around the back and a skim of filler over the top

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2039.jpg

Edited by odub

Yeah I got a section of bumper off you as well Chris just don't know whether to cut a small blanking plug out of it to fill the hole, or use the whole section.

I'm not keen on going the fibreglass route odub as I've been told it's more susceptible to cracking

I'd weld in a new piece, fibreglass has a different rate of expansion than ABS plastic so over time will crack. Filler sinks too when used heavily, a skim is cool but more than that and it sinks over time. Have you see how much the rear bumper flexes down there?

What d'you reckon though Sean - weld in a blanking plug or cut the whole section and weld in a fresh piece?

I'd probably weld in a larger piece if it were me. I personally find it easier to fit a larger item and make it look good than a smaller one.

Mine was done using a piece of bumper and welded in mate , but we just cut a plug out of the part of bumper and then used that to plug it and then welded it in

Like has been said already a light skim is fine but ideally the less filler used the better

Maybe I shouldn't admit to this but I used a half round gutter piece as it was the perfect profile. Welded it in, filled and painted and it's been ok since. I had already done it on my previous valver so I knew it was good. It's all detailed in my members gallery.