sexybourbon

Can the brake fluid res be moved ?

As per title can the brake fluid res be moved as its stopping me from fitting the weichers upper strut brace ! I need it to move forwards or back a couple of inch so the bar is clear to go across the bay

Not sure if the res is connected to anything uderneath or weather its hust fixed in place with rubber gromets / bungs

Id like to get this gitted before it goes for any alignment so any help would be great

Thanks in advance

It does just pull out and has rubber bungs so i guess you could move it and add some pipes maybe.

You can get barbs which go into the rubber bungs and then just get some pipe to join the 2 together. The feed from the reservoir to the cylinder is gravity fed so you can put your reservoir anywhere you want so long as it is above the cylinder.

Thanks sean thats good info, i didnt want to yank it up of its bumgs and fid out that actually its a pipe full of brake fluid and have it go all over the new bay

Still cant believe what a faff it is just to fit a strut brace !

Well it is full of brake fluid. Get a syringe and a bit of pipe and you should be able to get most of it out and save the paint work. There is a filter in the neck of the reservoir and you'll need some needle nose pliers to pull it out. They are in there quite well too!

I'm dubious as to how effective strut braces are and I'm more convinced it's a placebo effect. Look smart, but I'd be more concerned in the flex going through the sub frame seeing as that is where all the road forces originate. A nice big brace across its legs is bound to be better than across the top of 2 strut tops that are fairly close to a bulkhead. That's just me though.

I know what you mean but id still wuite like to fit it plus it looks nice aswell wich im all for

As for emptying it i didnt have that in mind , it literally just needs to move back or forward an inch or so it doesent beed to come fully off , i was hoping i could pull it of its mounts and maybe just push it back slightly so the bar has clearance

Ill try take some pics tomorrow to make it a. Bit clearer

From what I remember, there isn't any tolerance in the lugs. They come out the reservoir and into a hole (with grommets). If you pull it up, it will come off, and only go back on in the same place. Other than it being wedged potentially at an odd angle, I can't see it being possible :(

Google pictures of the reservoir and pictures of the master cylinder, it'll all become clear. But as has been said you can't just pull it and move it a bit, you would need to remotely mount it somewhere else using pipes.

Yep I moved my reservoir over to the passenger side to make room for the turbo. Cheap and a piece of **** to do.

You can fit the 24mm version from the mk4 but then you'd ideally need a larger servo to overcome the reduction in braking power. Sounds weird but a bigger master cylinder delivers less brake line pressure for the same brake pedal force.

Ill post some pics up from today of my problem with the brace and the reservoir

Iv managed to squeeze it in for now just so i can enjoy summer with it

Im gonna have to keep two 17mm spanners in the car incase i need to be in to top up but hopefully not

What a pig to fit , i wish id not have bothered but when id posted this up last night id already removed the abs grommets tht hold the sensors on the struts and i wasnt expecting them to leave quite the mess it did so for now the only thing i could do is cover it over with the circular brackets for he brace

You can fit the 24mm version from the mk4 but then you'd ideally need a larger servo to overcome the reduction in braking power. Sounds weird but a bigger master cylinder delivers less brake line pressure for the same brake pedal force.

I have a 24mm M/C but don't want to change the servo due to its position sensor being needed for the ABS, I'd like shorter pedal travel if possible which will give better position for foot / lower leg to apply more pressure that's needed.

My T5 has just had new brakes all around and its like throwing an anchor out of the back, compare this with the C and its night and day different. I want to keep it standard looking with speedos. I have a 288mm set up waiting in the wings too.

The C is insured for commuting this year so will get more use than in previous years forcing me to sort the niggles I've put up with since I bought it (ABS light woes, occasional stalling etc ie typical C traits).

I'd forgotten that you need the position sensor on the servo for the abs. I ditched all that in favour of the teves20 stuff a while ago.